This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

My family finally got our first dog back in 2011. She is a Bernese Mountain dog from a breeder in Canada. Her name is Jazzy. She is currently eight years old and probably the sweetest, most loving dog you’ll ever meet. This past summer, after endless begging, we decided to get our second dog. She is also a Bernese from Canada. Her name is Loki. And boooyyyyy does she live up to the name. She is about 5 months old and as hyper as can be. My dogs are the loves of my life. They keep me sane. They show me love and attention. They make me so happy. Being without them while away at college is extremely difficult.

Since about seventh grade, I have struggled a lot with anxiety. One thing that always makes me feel better when I’m having a rough day is being around my dogs. Unfortunately, now that I’m away, I don’t have easy access to that outlet anymore. Now, whenever I see a dog while walking on campus, I freak out and get so excited, I’m pretty sure the owner assumes I’m a crazy person. But I just can’t help it. I need dogs in my life. I’m sure many dog owners on campus feel pretty much the same way. Being away from your pet is never easy.

Why do we get so emotionally dependent on our animals? According to Psychology Today, “Animals can provide a sense of calm, comfort, or safety and divert attention away from a stressful situation.” This comfort is beneficial for those going through emotional distress, as well as physical discomfort. Animal-assisted therapy is becoming more popular in hospitals to provide relief and distraction to patients who may be sick or in recovery. They can be used to assist people with mental illnesses, such as depression, schizophrenia, or addiction, by providing companionship and support. Many people keep emotional support dogs that can be registered as service dogs to help these individuals through their daily lives.

As college students, we face a lot of stress every single day. This stress can come from classes, clubs, sports, being away from home, social troubles, financial issues, etc. The list goes on forever if you have the time. Sometimes we need to take time to focus on our mental health. UConn Health and Wellness offers Pet Therapy! There are eleven different dogs you could see. Upcoming events and other information can be found on their website. Check it out if you love animals and if you’re having a rough time. It might help you feel a little better.

And now for the real reason you clicked on my article. Here are 37 pictures of the dogs in my life to hopefully make you smile. Enjoy :)

1. Jazzy when she came to visit me on campus

2. Loki the day we brought her home

3. Kaia, my uncle’s dog and Loki’s biological sister

4. Bailey, my uncle’s dog (RIP beautiful)

5. Mika, my uncle’s oldest dog (she’s 9 and still acts like a 6-month-old puppy)

6. Loki getting comfy with all four paws in the air

7. My boyfriend’s brother’s dog Willy, a 5-month-old rescue; Australian Shepard and (probably) yellow Lab mix

8. Me the first time I held Loki in my arms

9. Me feeding Jazzy ice cream on her 8th birthday

10. Jazzy and Loki’s first meeting! (love at first sight)

11. All of the pups (Jazzy, Loki, and their cousins)

12. Cute I am. Jazzy I am not. (Get it? Because she’s Yoda now)

13. Willy is a happy boy

14. Loki sleeping with her face shoved up against the sliding glass door

15. Jazzy showing where her loyalties lie

16. Morning cuddles with Loki

17. Jazzy before the sneeze hit

18. Jazzy after the sneeze hit

19. My first time taking Willy for a ride in the car

20. Front view of Loki sleeping

21. Jazzy and Loki cuddling on the couch

22. Willy probably staring at a piece of paper that he wants to pounce on

23. Jazzy cuddling the toy my boyfriend bought her for Christmas

24. Loki doing that awkward 5th-grade school picture smile

25. Loki and Willy’s first encounter (they’re best friends now btw)

26. Jazzy plopping her head in my sister’s lap wanting attention

27. Loki as Loki (courtesy of my sister)

28. Jazzy before the cracker

29. Jazzy after the cracker

30. Loki visiting my mom’s 2nd-grade classroom and testing out the chairs

31. Loki doing…actually we have no idea what’s happening here

32. Loki sleeping and looking possessed

33. Jazzy, Queen of the Snow 

34. Sleepy Loki looking like a model

35. Loki and her first real photoshoot

36. Jazzy’s first photoshoot

37. And last but not least, my favorite picture of when Loki came to visit me on campus

I want to give a special shoutout to my family for helping me gather all of these pictures. I love you Mom, Dad, and Kendra.

Kallan Doyon

U Conn '23

Kallan is a senior at the University of Connecticut studying Psychology, with minors in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and Sociology. She plans to pursue her Masters in Social Work after this year. She loves writing! Like, genuinely love it, and rediscovered her love of writing just recently!