victorious christmas?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
victorious christmas?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Nickolodeon / Netflix

What Holiday Song You Are Based On Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We have officially made it to the end of the semester so you know exactly what time it is. And no, I don’t mean time for cramming for all your final exams because I’m sure every one of you has been preparing for weeks and not procrastinating whatsoever… (I write this fully knowing all of my focus has been on this article instead of the several essays/projects/exams I have due this week….don’t tell my professors and I won’t tell yours, okay?) I’m actually referring to my new addition to my article series sorting people into arbitrary groups based on their majors. If you haven’t yet read the past three editions (Bagels, Holiday Movies, and Starbucks Drinks) go check them out! I’ve been trying to include a wide variety of majors, but if you haven’t spotted yours yet please stay tuned. I still have three more semesters until I graduate — unless stepping on our seal has fatally cursed me — and I plan on adding to this series at the end of each of them.

Now, here is the list of what holiday song I think you are based on your major:

Happy Lets Go GIF by Bounce - Find & Share on GIPHY

Ecology: O Tannenbaum

First up we have our Ecology majors matching with the Christmas classic, “O Tannenbaum” by Nat King Cole. For those who may not know, “O Tannenbaum” was traditionally a German folk song for pine trees. Eventually, however, we came to associate it with Christmas with the translation of the English version, “O Christmas Tree.” In my head, “O Tannenbaum” is to “O Christmas Tree” as Ecology is to Environmental Science. Don’t ask me why, it just is. I don’t make the rules.

Pre-Law: Baby it’s Cold outside

Second, we have the controversial “Baby It’s Cold Outside” by Dean Martin matched with all those who are pre-law. It is no secret that there have been plenty of debates on whether or not this song denies the importance of consent. Regardless of which side of the court you’re on, there’s no debating that this song is a winter classic, and its tune is one we will never forget as the season comes and goes.

Accounting: Santa baby

The next pairing is the infamous “Santa Baby” with Accounting majors. Personally, I wouldn’t want to be the one budgeting the wish list in this song. I’ll leave that task to the people who are actually good with finances. Oh and did you know that Ariana Grande and Liz Gilles did a cover of the song together? Guess we can check that duet off our wish lists.

Linguistics: Ave Maria

And now we have “Ave Maria” by my roommate and my favorite person in the world, Josh Groban, paired with all Linguistic majors. Am I jealous of you? Yes, yes I am. It’s an angelic piece sung entirely in Latin. I’ve always thought it was some sort of ode or love song, but I might need my linguistics people to do some analyzing and see if that’s actually true.

Cbs Lol GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert - Find & Share on GIPHY

Mathematics: Twelve Days of Christmas

The match-up of math majors with “Twelve Days of Christmas” was probably the easiest one to make. As someone who still counts with her fingers, I commend all mathematic majors for their magical ability to work with numbers. An equation from a calculus class is about as difficult for me to solve as remembering all the lyrics to this song. I feel like those majoring in mathematics, however, have a brain wired to ace it.

Music Education: Sleigh Ride

“Sleigh Ride” is a blast from my past being the song that was performed by my high school band for every winter concert. If you become a music educator and don’t make your students learn this masterpiece each holiday season, then I applaud your restraint. It’s a concert classic, and that heart-stopping WHACK of the slapstick will never fail to startle me.

Engineering: Christmas canon

Next, we have the eeriest and most mechanical-sounding Holiday song, “Christmas Canon,” matched with Engineering majors. If someone told me that an engineering student wrote this song instead of an actual musician, I’d believe it. Especially with the methodic canon of children’s voices in the beginning…that kind of precision screams some sort of knowledge with machines.

Women’s Studies: All I want for Christmas is you

We now finally have our Christmas Queen, Mariah Carey, making an appearance with her song “All I Want for Christmas is You.” Clearly, Mariah is the woman to be during the holiday season, and so it was only right to pair her with the Women’s Studies major.

Merry Christmas Goodbye GIF by Pretty Dudes - Find & Share on GIPHY

Business Management: We Wish you a Merry Christmas

Next up is the Business Management major paired up with the most popular song to carol, “We Wish You a Merry Christmas.” John Denver and The Muppets are using the classic foot-in-the-door tactic to get to what they really desire from those they carol to…figgy pudding. Their persistence is honestly pretty admirable, so if there’s anyone business majors should be looking up to in their studies, it’s The Muppets.

Chemistry: Last Christmas

Lastly, I’ve matched all Chemistry majors up with one of my most beloved holiday songs, “Last Christmas” by Wham. I feel like after the traumas of enduring the dreaded organic chemistry course, all chemistry majors can relate to the heartbreak felt in this song. If you’re in that boat right now, I wish you luck! Just know that next semester, you’ll be able to put your efforts into a class that’s more forgiving, or ‘special’ for Wham’s sake.

Thank you so much for sticking with me through the end of this article! Now, go put on your favorite holiday music and get back to studying! I hope you all have a wonderful winter break.

Makenna is the Treasurer of Her Campus UConn. She is currently a Junior double majoring in English and Psychology who loves using her writing to help others decompress from the chaos that is life and learn more about culture, academics, and wellness along the way. Makenna is also a Supervisor for the UC cafes around campus, so if you ever see her working behind the barista machine and need a quick pick-me-up make sure to stop by! She additionally commutes to her home in Milford, CT to work her second job as a teacher at a local children's fitness center. In her spare time, Makenna enjoys crocheting, practicing yoga, and playing her favorite cozy video games. She is a Hozier fanatic, lover of cats, and is always down for a Studio Ghibli movie night. <3