Style > Beauty

The Top 5 Hairstyle Ideas To Take You From The Rec To Class With Ease

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Being a student who’s always on the go, I tend to find myself struggling to maintain my appearance, especially before and after working out between classes. It feels impossible to look put together after running from class to class while the wind tunnels of Storrs mess up your hair. It only worsens after working up a sweat at the Rec and discovering that your hair looks oilier and frizzier than before. Although I can’t free up your schedule, shave your head, or give you a “magic fix,” I can clue you in on some of my favorite hairstyles that have never steered me wrong, even on the most eventful of days.

SLicked-back ponytail/bun

The slicked-back pony is one of my favorite hairstyles to wear to class and the gym! It holds up incredibly well, so you’re not tugging at it or pulling it tight every couple of minutes while working up a sweat, and it stays intact for class with minimal touch-ups (if any at all) required. As for the slicked-back bun, it holds strong, prevents your hair from getting in the way, and is super trendy at the moment (thanks Bella Hadid and Hailey Bieber)! The best part about this style is that you can adjust it according to your look and needs. For example, if you have longer hair and find the strands of hair whacking you in the face annoying, you can braid the ponytail to prevent that from happening. The slicked-back bun can be tight or messy and can be braided or plain. You also get to choose the product you put in your hair to slick it back. I’m personally a fan of the hair wax and hairspray combo, but people also love to use leave-in conditioner and hair oil to get the same glossy and slick effect! Another great perk that comes with this hairstyle is that it works great for when you’re a college student in a pinch with “day three” hair and need something quick, clean, and easy to do with your hair!

french, dUtch, or twist braidS

Braids are an awesome alternative to the slicked-back look because they can be as messy or clean as you want them to be and still look good in both the gym and in class without getting in the way too much. They’re also fun because you can accent them with French or Dutch-style braiding and add in clips or ribbons if you want to make them pop! As for my low-maintenance girlies that don’t particularly enjoy (or know how) to do those kinds of braids, adding in some twist-braiding to get the French-braided look on the top of your head and switching to normal braids for your ends is always a great alternative, takes less time, and makes for easy removal. Similar to the slicked-back style, you can throw on some leave-in conditioner, oil, or other hair treatments/creams to keep frizz and flyaways at bay. If you’re striving for the messy braids, you can add in some volumizing spray or dry shampoo to help achieve that “I just got out of bed, but my hair still looks good” look.

Double Buns

If you’re looking to keep your hair completely out of sight and out of mind, the double bun style might be the right style for you! This hairstyle gives you leeway in deciding the height, location, security, and look of your hair according to your needs. I’m personally a fan of the low and messy double buns because they’re low-effort and hold up well enough to get through the day, but are easy to fix if they come undone. However, if you’re looking to have tight hair that won’t require any touch-ups, applying some product to slick the hair out of your face and adding in some bobby pins to secure the buns tightly on your scalp makes a huge difference and has lasting results that will keep you worry-free!

Pigtails

Pigtails are a nice and simple hairstyle for the simple fact that they’re incredibly versatile. If you’re a fan of keeping hair out of your face in the gym and in class, this hairstyle gives you plenty of wiggle room to do so while still giving you the option to add some cute accents to the pigtails! For example, you can make the pigtails bubble-style, add braiding on the scalp and/or ends, or throw in some ribbons, colorful hair ties, clips, or a headband to personalize your hair according to your needs and the look you’re going for that day. Like the styles above, you can add product to the hair to slick it back, or pull strands out and rough it up a bit to get a messy appearance. The one caveat that comes with this style is that it can be difficult to execute when you’re parting the hair, so make sure to have a mirror, comb, and your patience handy if you want a clean and straight part.

messy bun

I decided to save the best for last because this one is a classic. The messy bun has become a staple hairstyle in nearly every college girl’s hair routine because it’s effortless, simple, and can be re-done quickly if need be. It’s also just as multifaceted as the other styles mentioned since you can dress it up or down according to the occasion. For example, throwing on a hat or braiding the hair on your scalp before tying it into this bun does a great job of keeping the extra hairs out of your face while you’re running or lifting weights at the Rec. As for going to class, utilizing headbands, bandanas, colorful scrunchies, and clips to match your outfit requires little to no additional effort and makes a huge difference by giving this style some character!

Now What?

To those of you who may be interested in discovering which hairstyles work for you and your daily routine, the styles above are merely a suggestion. These looks are just here to give you some inspiration and serve as a great starting point because they offer some flair in contrast to the typical up-dos that students settle for when faced with a busy day full of lectures, assignments, and working out. These hairstyles are inclusive, and you can alter them according to your hair’s type, style, length, and needs while maintaining self-expression by giving you the creative authority to dress up and accessorize your hair to match your style in both the Rec and the lecture halls. You do not have to compromise your style for utility as a busy student if you don’t want to. Now grab your hair brush and have fun styling!

Liz Agarunova is a senior writer and one of the Executive board’s social media chairs at the Her Campus UConn chapter. She enjoys writing about health and wellness, pop culture, fashion, college life, and experiences — but she’s a big fan of trying new things, and enjoys the challenge of taking on new topics & writing styles whenever the opportunity arises. Outside of Her Campus, Liz studies Political Science and plans to attend law school following the completion of her undergraduate degree in May 2024. Liz has also taken a strong interest in finance after spending the summer working at Lawrence & Memorial Federal Credit Union, finding that financial literacy is increasingly relevant and important knowledge for her generation. When she isn’t busy doing coursework or writing for Her Campus, Liz enjoys strength training at the gym, testing out new recipes in the kitchen, or kicking back and indulging in the next book on her “TBR” list!