Running Shoes Water Bottle
Running Shoes Water Bottle
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Wellness > Health

How #HotGirlWalks Improved my Relationship With Exercise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Ever since I could remember, my mom would go on walks almost every day after work. Sometimes I would join her, other times I wouldn’t, but nevertheless, I would question the appeal of a (seemingly) boring walk around the neighborhood.

Fast forward to quarantine, when I was forced to stay in my house for months on end. The only exception to this rule from my mother was, of course, a daily walk. I was a senior in high school, and up until this point, my main form of exercise was running. I had been on the varsity cross country and track teams throughout my four years of high school. I spent my free time racking up miles and hyper-fixating on my running times. Especially on race days, running would consume my life. I would even cut out sugar days leading up to a race in the hopes of dropping my running times by mere seconds.

Would it work? I’m honestly not sure. But from 14 to 18 years old, running culture was something that was deeply ingrained in me— and it was becoming toxic. Running miles on end until I could barely walk a cooldown lap was something that I could not sustain for the rest of my life (even though I so badly wanted to). 

This break I so desperately needed came during quarantine. Track season was canceled for the year, and although I began racking up my mileage during quarantine, I no longer saw a point in training if the chances of racing ever again were slight. 

Out of boredom, I decided to join my mother on her daily walks. I continued to do this every day until running became a hobby in my distant memory. Although I felt guilty for letting all of my training from the past four years go to waste, I knew I needed to take a break from it. 

Eventually, I began going on walks on my own, especially in the summer. As I began college in the fall of 2020, my daily walks transitioned into doing the “12-3-30” treadmill trend, created by lifestyle influencer Lauren Giraldo, at the recreation center. No matter how I completed my daily walks, I looked forward to playing my favorite music, podcast, or YouTube video to take time to reflect on my day. I no longer was pressured by pacing, mileage time, or the distance that I was going. There was no stress, pressure, or repercussions. I could just walk. 

In the spring of 2021, whatever my walks consisted of finally got a name. Coined by @exactlylikeothergirls on TikTok: the #HotGirlWalk was born. This user, named Mia, described a #HotGirlWalk as a long walk aimed to target both one’s mental and physical health. Whether it be alone, with friends, distraction-free, or listening to your favorite podcast, Mia aims to get women to feel more confident about themselves and set on their goals.

My love for #HotGirlWalks only became stronger this summer, as I spent each morning walking aimlessly around my neighborhood for miles; it was what I looked forward to each day. Especially after a whirlwind sophomore year of college, my walks were what allowed me to reflect, reshape, and recenter my mindset and prepare me for a new school year. 

I often alternated between listening through my various playlists, favorite podcasts, and being headphone-free alone with my thoughts (scary, I know). Whatever I was in the mood for, whatever was bugging me, whatever I think I needed to reflect on, would dictate what I would choose to guide my #HotGirlWalk of the day. Along the way, I discovered some of my favorite podcasts, which I figured I would share:

1. Miss Congeniality with Eli Rallo

Hosted by TikToker and lifestyle influencer Eli Rallo (@thejarr on TikTok), “Miss Congeniality” offers advice, pop culture updates, and everything in between. Although she is navigating her post-grad life in New York City, Eli often reflects on her college experiences which is something I particularly relate to.

2. Already Friends with Allison Wetig and Ceara Kirkpatrick

I found this one in my Spotify recommendations over the summer and I could not get enough of it. “Already Friends” is a podcast hosted by two besties Allison and Ceara, and they discuss confidence, friendships, careers, and self-help. This is the ultimate “big sister” podcast and is perfect for your #HotGirlWalks.

3. Trying Not to Care by Ashley Corbo

Once again, I came across this podcast on my Spotify recommendations. This seriously is the ultimate college-girl podcast. Covering issues such as friendships, relationships, self-care, and self-love, I find myself relating to every episode that I have listened to.

4. Anything Goes by Emma Chamberlain

A classic podcast by our queen Emma Chamberlain, “Anything Goes” offers advice and discusses relatable topics such as relationships, friendships, failure, and everything in between. Although Emma and I share the same age, I find her perspective to be one that is beyond her years.

These podcasts have all contributed to the perspective I have about myself, my life, and my relationships. #HotGirlWalks have not only benefitted my physical health, but most importantly my mental health and perspective.

Exercise should make you feel good about yourself (both inside and out)! If I had continued running, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to put in all of this inner work on myself. I would have been too focused on my time, mileage, and pace. #HotGirlWalks have completely changed my perspective on how I live my life (as cliche as it sounds) and have given me such a better appreciation for myself by giving me the space to reflect.

Whatever way you choose to get active, make sure that it is for you. In a world full of people-pleasing and compromise, exercise is one of the only ways that you can truly work and focus on yourself. For me (after some trial and error), I found that in taking walks. For you, it could be something different. Whatever it is, make sure that it can be used to not only improve your physical health, but also your mental health.

Emily Rostkowski is a senior at the University of Connecticut studying math and math education. She is a contributing writer to HerCampus UConn who enjoys writing on culture, fitness, lifestyle, and college topics. Aside from this, Emily is pursuing research in her field and has worked as a research assistant this past summer. She will begin full-time student teaching this spring in a high school mathematics classroom. In her spare time, she enjoys traveling, working out, eating ice cream, trying new coffee shops, and attending UConn sporting events. Most importantly, she is a hot girl walk, Taylor Swift, and sugar cookie latte enthusiast.