clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career > Her20s

The Five Stages of Moving Out of Your Parents’ House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As graduation season approaches, many seniors will find themselves preparing for the future, or possibly still asking “what’s next?”

Personally, I’ve decided that graduation is the perfect time for me to ‘spread my wings’ and leave the nest. I’ve lived in the same house with my parents since the day I was born, and in less than two months, I’ll be moving one thousand miles away to pursue new opportunities.

Here’s what I’ve experienced so far:

1. Denial: Breaking the News

When you announce to your family, friends and coworkers that you’ll be leaving the state, there’s a lot of shock and denial. I couldn’t believe it myself, how could I be leaving my safety net and my support system? While it’s exciting, it’s hard to wrap your head around the fact that your whole life is going to change in a big way.

2. Anger: Why is Everything So Expensive?

So you just got out of college and want to move out: hope you’re ready to sell those arms and legs. No matter how you go, everything is incredibly expensive. Moving trucks, shipping supplies, flight tickets, you name it. Also, be prepared to pay around $50 just for a mandatory new driver’s license if you leave the state. Let’s not forget all the kitchen supplies, furniture, bedding… this list goes on and on.

3. Bargaining: How Many Things Can I Take?

People will want to give you a lot of hand-me-downs when they hear you’re moving: take it. You may want brand-new everything in your new apartment, but make sure you take advantage of free stuff if it’s in good condition.

4. Depression: Am I Sure About This?

When I had booked my flight, and my parents had booked their hotel to help me move into my new place, I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. A week prior, I couldn’t sleep over how excited I was. Then I started to feel sad and anxious about my decision. I questioned what-if’s and anticipated my FOMO. How would I say goodbye to my friends, family and my family pets?

5. Acceptance: It’s a Part of Life

While coping with my feelings of sadness about leaving my home, I remembered that leaving the nest is a part of nearly everyone’s life. I recalled how fortunate of a position I am in to be able to move out in good health and on good terms. While I won’t be able to see the people I love as much, social media and technology have made it so much easier to stay connected from far away.

It’s a whirlwind of emotions to move out of your parents’ house, and it’s definitely not easy. But, if you’re moving out soon, just remember to spend as much time as you can working hard, saving money, and spending quality time with your loved ones.

Chelsea is a senior undergraduate at the University of Connecticut. She is pursuing a degree in Digital Media & Design with a concentration in business strategies, as well as a minor in Communications. She holds one of the Marketing & Design chairs for her school's chapter of Her Campus.