Wellness

Essential Oils: Mother Nature’s Gift to You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Being a girl in college is hard, and it’s no secret that stressors from school and relationships can wear down your health. Aromatherapy is a safe and natural way to relax and practice that much needed self-care. Smelling, rubbing, or diffusing essential oils daily can significantly improve your health and mood. Many of the oils have more than one benefit, and they can all be mixed to create a custom concoction that caters to your personal needs. Consider trying some of these oils to brighten your life!

Peppermint

Peppermint is best for your brain. When you’re down and want to naturally improve your mood, or need razor focus for that late-night cramming session, peppermint can be your best friend. It’s also good for sore muscles after grinding at the gym!

Melaleuca (Tea Tree)

Melaleuca does wonders for your skin and hair. To put it on your skin, make sure to dilute it with coconut oil to avoid irritation and dryness. It can also be used in combination with shampoo or conditioner for healthier hair.

Lavender

Lavender is arguably the ultimate essential oil. Not only do girls face all that college has to throw at us, but once a month we do it on our period. When your hormones or cramps are out of whack, lavender is a good supplement to get you through those weeks. Lavender is also a very popular oil for calming properties and to induce sleep; and what college student doesn’t need all the sleep they can get these days?

Orange

Orange also covers a lot of bases. It can be used to suppress anxiety, depression, and stress. It can also strengthen your immune system, which is definitely a must as flu season creeps up on us.

Lemon

Lemon aids in digestion and promotes your mood. Dining hall food can be questionable at times, so lemon will be there to come to the rescue. Lemon is also naturally energizing, so if you feel like you’re running low on willpower to finish that assignment, consider using lemon to get you through it.

Sometimes we just need a boost, and people put all kinds of chemicals in their bodies to make themselves feel better. Everyone knows the more natural the better, and essential oils are as natural as it gets!

Sarah is a senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in political science and minoring in French and communication, and the current President of Her Campus UConn! In her spare time, she enjoys going to concerts, reading, and hiking.