End the Month by Celebrating Heart Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

February is Heart Health Month – a month that bring awareness to a disease that continues to be the number one cause of death in America. Although commonly thought of as a disease that targets men, the disease is becoming more common among women. This disease alone is responsible for more deaths per year than all forms of cancer combined for women. With nearly 800,000 people dying of heart disease every year alone, (accounting for 33% of deaths) everyone is affected by this disease in some way, whether it be you or someone you know (The Heart Foundation). 

(Photo courtesy of Velocity Fitness)

As young collegiettes the threat of heart disease may seem like it is many years down the road, but it has been shown that even as teens, streaks of fatty plaque can start to build up in your arteries, and as you get older these can only increase and put you at a higher risk of heart disease. Early detection and prevention are the best ways to help your heart. It’s never too early to make an effort to either start, or continue to maintain a healthy lifestyle that will guide you towards better heart health. Your heart is one of the most important organs in your body and it deserves to be shown a little love, so whether you need some motivation to pick back up your New Year’s Resolution (because let’s face it, it can be hard to stay motivated as the year goes on and midterms roll around) or you want to make a fresh start to a healthy lifestyle, here are some ways that you can be heart healthy even while in college.

(Photo courtesy of Penn State: Eating Healthy in College)                      

Being active is one of the best ways to get your heart healthy—it not only makes your heart stronger but can give you more energy, relieve stress, and can give you results for the rest of your body. Whether it’s hitting the gym or going to a Bodywise class, being surrounded by other peers who are working out is a great way to motivate you to exercise and to push yourself, especially if you happen to see your crush working out across the room. There are so many options for machines to use or workouts, so whether it’s lifting weights, swimming, or playing racquetball there’s something for everyone. If you’re not sure what to do or where to start, signing up for a Bodywise class is easy and can be a great way to make friends. Plus the walk up to hilltop is a good work out in itself!

http://recreation.uconn.edu/bodywise/

(Photo courtesy of @UConnBodywise on Twitter)

But even if you don’t have the time in the week to devote to going to the gym, even just deciding to resist the urge of taking the bus to class in the morning or deciding to take the stairs can have huge effects later on.

Don’t have a friend that you can rely on to keep you motivated? Getting a fitness tracker can be a good way to help you monitor how much you exercise or eat and motivate you to work in positive ways towards your heart healthy goals. You don’t have to be a health-nut or a techie to get one either, there are so many different kinds to choose from that feature tons of ways to promote healthy lifestyles. You can check out our article from last week to see which one will work best for you.

http://www.hercampus.com/school/u-conn/which-fitness-tracker-right-you

(photo courtesy of Fitbit)

Exercise is only one component of being healthy. The foods that you eat plays a huge role in your overall health as well. The dining halls have fresh fruit every morning so it’s easy to grab an apple or banana for now, or to save for later on when you’re in a time crunch and need a quick (but healthy) bite to eat.

McMahon Dining Hall (Photo courtesy of American School and University Magazine)

UConn has a lot to offer in terms of different food options between all of the dining halls and other off-campus treats, but just because they taste amazing doesn’t mean that they are amazing for you (I’m looking at you D.P. Dough). Ordering take-out with a study group friends late at night can be a fun and yummy option, but doing it frequently can be unheathy. Being conscious of what and how much you eat and setting limits for yourself can be a good way to keep your heart and your wallet happier. Plus, if you choose to have something special only on certain occasions, then it can make your favorite foods that much more enjoyable when you finally do have them.

So while you may not enjoy walking across campus to your 8am math class, or saying no to that extra scoop of dairy bar ice cream, now, and many years after college your heart will be thanking you.

(Photo courtesy of Keep your Heart Healthy and You Happy by Hermeet)

Katie Lynch

U Mass Amherst

A Communications and Journalism Major at UMass Amherst