6 Things That Happened When I Brought My Dog to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I recently adopted a three-year old puggle mix, named Sophie, as an emotional support animal. With a doctor’s permission, I was lucky enough to get to bring her to school with me to help me get through the everyday anxieties and stresses of college life. These are just a few things that Sophie does to help and reasons why every collegiette should be allowed to have a loving animal companion with them at school.

1. Cuddles, all the time

What better way to relax after a stressful day of class than with warm cuddles with your furry friend? Studies show that cuddling releases the oxytocin hormone, or the “feel-good” hormone, in humans. Sophie, just like many dogs and cats, is always up for a good snuggle under a warm blanket, which is guaranteed to make you feel good even after the worst day.

2. The best welcome home ever

If you’ve ever been in a rough place and feeling like no one needs you, I suggest getting a dog. Even after leaving for just a few hours for class, Sophie greets me at the door with leaps of joy, slobbery kisses, and the goofiest of smiles.

3. Homework help

While they may not be able to give you homework hints, having a dog like Sophie on your lap as you write a paper or solve the latest problem set provides a sense of relaxation. Often times, a tough assignment can cause a lot of added stress, but having a cozy furball of relaxation on your lap keeps that previously inevitable breakdown at bay.

4. Endless kisses

Not only does Sophie love to give me kisses when I get home from class, but she loves to kiss any one, any time. As stinky and slobbery as they are, you can’t help but laugh when a cute pup is showing you crazy affection.

5. Daily walks

One of the best ways to overcome anxiety and stress and release “feel-good” hormones is to get exercise. Sometimes, when you’re in a tough place and the weather is bad, it can be hard to even get out of bed. However, a companion animal depends on you to take them outside, which is just enough motivation to get yourself up and moving.

6. Did I mention cuddles?

(We’re cuddling as I write this.)

I can’t believe how lucky I’ve been to be able to have such a lovable companion animal with me at school and cannot express how much she helps with stress and anxiety. Whether students have an anxiety disorder or not, they all experience the extreme stresses that come with college and an animal can help with that. Petition to get dogs allowed everywhere on campus?

Photos Courtesy of Alicia Affinito and Nikki Harris