Wellness > Health

6 Easy Tips For Achieving A Healthy Lifestyle In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The words “avocado”, “carbohydrate”, and “salad” are not mentioned in the following article.

Utilize The Health App On Your iPhone

Apple Watch? Never heard of her. This app tracks your daily activity through walking/running mileage, active calories burned, floors climbed, and total steps. It also records your sleeping habits and tons of other data, such as heart rate and reproductive health. Now, you can feel proud when you realize that missing the bus and having to walk to Storrs Center was totally worth it. And at the end of the day, all anyone really wants to do is brag that they walked 10,000 steps.

Invest In a Pair of Quality Sneakers (Support and Cushioning for the Win!)

It’s a great idea to have sneakers waiting for you whenever you decide to check out the new rec center or take a jog around campus. You’ll want to get your money’s worth by actually wearing them! And when you’re nearing your 5th hour watching YouTube in your bed, the sneakers’ sleek, untouched beauty will catch your eye and make you think, “Huh. I really should put those to use.” 

Here’s a link to $59.95 Asic sneakers (with free shipping!): https://www.asics.com/us/en-us/gel-quantum-90/p/0020010314.700

Listen to Music On Your Morning Commute to Class

Listening to music in the morning, specifically songs with heavy bass, releases dopamine in the brain that will get you pumped for your 8 a.m. chemistry lecture. Get those brain waves flowing… and those chemical mixtures. (Cringe.)

Smoothie Bar at Putnam: Blend with Water, Not Juice

If you’re looking to start a health kick, be smart about it! Although we do appreciate Putnam for their extensive selection of juices, one serving of OJ has around 24g of sugar and apple juice has around 32g… almost as much as an Insomnia cookie. It’s totally fine to choose one of the juices if that’s your preference, but those looking to cut down on sugar should be aware of these nutrition facts. Ask for water instead and you’ll leave feeling like an informed health goddess.

Load Up on Protein and Veggies After Exercise

No one wants to follow some strict diet or portion out their food with their hand–measuring the amount of cheese I’m going to eat with my thumb? No thank you. Keeping your plate colorful and filled with greens and protein will help strengthen your muscles and bones, boost metabolism, and help your body repair itself after exercise.

Never Label a Meal or Food as “Cheating” or “Guilty”

Choosing to eat a dessert or skipping the gym won’t reverse any health-conscious decisions you made that day. College-aged women are at the highest risk for developing eating disorders, so it is essential to never restrict yourself during meals, take rest days from exercise, and indulge in cravings. Being the best and happiest version of yourself is most important and should triumph above all.

From Fairfield, CT. A current business major hoping to switch to, or at least minor, in English. Loves writing (obviously), running, soccer, coffee, and Cody Ko.