Hummus
Hummus
Christin Urso / Spoon

3 Tasty and Healthy Snacks to Make at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Being a college student can surely make your schedule quite hectic. With classes, clubs, homework, and exercising, many busy students are left hungry during the day without even realizing it. Seeing that I personally did not have enough time in between classes and work to have a full meal, I decided that it was best to have some healthy snacks ready that cure cravings and give me the needed little pick-me-up throughout the day. Here is a list of 3 healthy snacks that you can make at home with simple ingredients. They are great to have during class, before or after the gym, or even while watching Netflix’s Top Ten!

Banana Oat Pancakes

These banana oat pancakes are super quick to make and require tasty but simple ingredients. The ingredients are as follows:

1 banana

1 cup of oats

1 egg

¼ cup of oat or almond milk

1 teaspoon of baking soda

2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder

All you need to do is to blend all of the ingredients listed above together! Then, pour the batter into a pan as needed. Flip when the bubbles in the batter are gone, and remove from the pan when the same occurs on the other side of the pancake. Making mini pancakes is convenient so that you can carry them around with you while on the run! Dipping them in gluten-free maple syrup or honey makes them even more delicious.

Cucumbers with Cream Cheese

Although not a recipe like the mini banana oat pancakes, this snack is super easy to make and tastier than you may think. All you need is one large cucumber and some low-fat cream cheese. Cut the cucumber into as many little wedges as you please and spread the cream cheese on top. To spice it up, sprinkle some chia seeds or Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel seasoning onto the cream cheese! Even if you’re at the library all day, it is a great idea to just dip the cucumber into the cream cheese in a little souffle cup if handy!

Rice Cakes with Peanut Butter and Fruit

Many of you may have tried this simple snack, but for those of you who haven’t, you’re missing out. Spread some of Teddie’s All Natural Smooth Peanut Butter on top of a rice cake of choice! Add some banana or strawberry slices on top and sprinkle a handful of granola all over. These are perfect for a quick breakfast or even as a sweet snack at night!

Whether you are having a super busy day or just relaxing, these quick-to-make snacks are a great alternative to the vending machine and checkout line at stores. Even if you don’t have the time and ingredients to make some healthy snacks, always be mindful and make sure you have enough food in your system to take on the busy days as a college student more ready and energized than ever before!  

Natalie is a Senior at the University of Connecticut studying Marketing with a concentration in Digital Marketing and Data Analytics. Even if she is running, cycling, or reading a book you can always find her listening to classic rock records.