This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The past week has been stressful, to say the least. If waiting for votes to come in and for states to be called has driven you slightly crazy, you’re not alone. Here are a few ways to cope with the election-related stress we are all are (justifiably) experiencing.

1. Step Away From the News

While you might want to be updated every time votes come in, that might not be what’s best for your mental health. It’s good to stay informed, but nonstop media consumption will only add to your anxiety. Studies show that “consuming too much…news, whether actively or passively, can be toxic, and what you hear has an impact on your mood (verywellmind.com).” Besides, the votes are coming in little by little; you won’t miss much by taking a few hours to focus on other things.

Photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash

2. Get Moving

Everyone knows that regular exercise is great for your physical health, but it also has a big impact on your mental health too. Exercise releases endorphins, mood-boosting chemicals, and reduce stress hormones. Regular exercise can also improve the quality of your sleep, something we could all use more of and is another great way to reduce stress. Whether it’s five minutes or an hour, at the gym or in your dorm room – any little bit helps.

Here are some workout videos I’ve been tuning into this week:

Kickboxing is great for releasing that pent up election-week anger and frustration.

Yoga is a good way to stay mindful during stressful times.

3. Call Friends or Family for Support

You’re not alone if you’ve been feeling stressed or anxious in the past week. Odds are, many of your loved ones have been feeling the same way. Use this as a way to call or facetime friends that you maybe haven’t seen yet this semester. Connecting with people you care about is a sure-fire way to take your mind off of the election and to boost your mood.

If you think you may need professional help, please utilize UConn’s Student Health and Wellness staff.

4. It’s Out of Your Control

If you’ve voted, donated money, and/or volunteered your time, know that you’ve done all you can. At this point, the election is out of our hands and what will be will be. With so much at stake this election, it can be hard to accept, but try not to stress too much about what you cannot control.

Photo by Janine Robinson on Unsplash

5. Do Something That Is In Your Control

That being said, we can control our own minds and bodies, so take your mind off of the election and invest your energy elsewhere for a bit.

Bake a yummy treat that you can share with your roommates (like these Pumpkin Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies that are delicious, easy to make, and sure to put you in the fall mood). Clean up “the chair,” you know, the one in your room that has an ever-present pile of clothes on it. Or, whip out that coloring book you bought at the beginning of quarantine but never really used.

6. Light a Candle

Aromatherapy is said to relieve stress and anxiety, improve sleep quality, treat headaches, and more. Some scents that are known to be particularly relaxing are lavender, chamomile, sandalwood, and rose. Plus, a good candle always gets me in the holiday mood!

Try:

This Relaxing Candle & This Holiday Candle

7. Reduce Caffeine Intake

If you’re like me, you may have had one too many cups of coffee this past week in hopes of regaining the energy you lost staying up late to watch the news. However, caffeine can increase anxiety and add to your stress. It’s fine to have a couple of cups but try not to overdo it. If you’re craving something warm to drink, try decaf green tea. It is said to reduce stress and help relieve anxiety. 

8. Laugh

It sounds kind of crazy, but laughing is physically good for you! It can relieve stress and relax tension in muscles. Studies even show that laughing is beneficial to your immune system. Hang out with friends (keeping COVID precautions in mind), look through funny memes and TikToks (there’s plenty of hilarious election-related content up at the moment), or watch some funny TV shows (my current favorites are Schitt’s Creek and Brooklyn Nine-Nine).  

9. Meditation

There are several benefits to meditation, including managing stress, remaining present, and increasing self-awareness. Several apps can guide you through meditation like Calm and Headspace. But if you’d rather not spend the money, there are plenty of free videos on YouTube that are similar. This video titled “15 Minute Guided Meditation to Find Peace in Uncertain Times” is sure to do the trick.

10. Get Outside

Being outdoors is so beneficial to our health and is a pretty easy thing to do. Fresh air and sunlight can boost your mood, lower your heart rate and blood pressure, and reduce stress. While the weather is still tolerable, get outside and go for a walk around campus.

Jenny Gorski

U Conn '21

Jenny is a senior at the University of Connecticut. She is studying Political Science with a minor in Psychological Sciences. Jenny loves going on long hikes, nerding out over her favorite podcasts, having classes unexpectedly canceled now and again, and hanging out with her pets, 2 cats and 2 dogs, all of whom she misses constantly while away at college.