books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

10 Tips to Help You Keep Calm About Upcoming Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We’ve made it pretty far into the semester and it’s finally almost over! However, before we can say we’re really done comes that dreaded thing we don’t like to talk or think about… FINALS (cue the crying).

While there’s no doubt that finals will present a certain level of awfulness, here are some ways you can try to keep calm and reduce your finals anxiety. 

1.  First things first, try to take advantage of the time you have before finals (this doesn’t mean the day before your final) to get ahead on studying so you won’t have to cram. I know this is something we all tell ourselves to do and never really follow through with, but really, this will prevent so much stress if you take it slow and start way ahead of time.  

2.  Each day, give yourself a manageable load to study. In other words, don’t plan on cramming the day before each exam.

3.  Make sure to change up your environment. If you stay in one room studying for too long it can make you go insane. After a couple hours of studying in your room, go to the library or if the library isn’t your thing, maybe somewhere else

4.  Try to study with someone else. Sometimes just talking the material out with another person is enough to make it sink in. 

5.  Make sure you take breaks. Studying everything all at once can be overwhelming. Set a goal for yourself such as after every chapter completed, take a 20 minute break.  That way you know you have a break to look forward to so it won’t seem as daunting.

6.  Be sure to reward yourself with snacks. If you have been studying for a few hours, go get ice cream or eat that candy you’ve been eyeing.

7.  You can always try different breathing exercises to calm yourself down or do activities like yoga and meditation.

8.  Going to the gym for a little workout is sometimes just what you need to clear your mind and allow yourself to focus.  Put your headphones in, get your adrenaline pumping and forget about any other worries you have.

9.  Make sure to get rest. If you feel too tired, you’re not going to be able to study. I’m not saying take a four hour nap, but a 20 minute power nap is the perfect amount of time to recharge and be ready for studying (well as ready as a person can be).

10. Lastly, remind yourself that they are just tests.  A bad grade, although it does not feel good, is not the end of the world.  Just do the best that you can. You are worth so much more than the grade you receive.

Good luck collegiettes! 

Cover Image Credit