Style > Beauty

Lush & Other Faves: Skin Care Is Self-Care Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

I, like most other students, am currently employed part-time in a retail store and have worked in customer service there for about a year now. I decided to change pace and recently transferred to a new position there and opted to try a different schedule, one where my shifts start at six in the morning. This change has been great in terms of allocating time to homework, but I haven’t quite adjusted my sleep schedule accordingly yet. The result? Every morning I wake up and see a ghost in the mirror because my tiredness washes me out so badly. My skin looks ashy, my eyes are puffy, and I’m tired as f*ck. Coffee or energy drinks are definitely a go-to on these mornings, but my favourite thing to do is- honestly- wash my face. The process wakes me and my skin up and gets me a little more excited for the day. Generally, when I’m tired or feeling off, I find treating skin care and cleanliness as a self-care ritual can really improve my mood and calm me down. It’s a moment that’s specifically for me and I feel calmer and clearer afterward. 

I thought I would spread this positivity by sharing some of the products that make me feel my best, which mainly consists of Lush items but includes some of The Ordinary and Glossier’s products as well.

Angels on Bare Skin – Lush

This “face and body cleanser” is what I use first. It’s a gentle exfoliator designed for sensitive skin which consists of a kaolin clay base, lavender, and almonds. One of the things I love about Lush is that a little goes a long way. In this case it’s self-preserving, and a moderate sized pinch will give you an excellent scrub. I honestly feel like I’m glowing from the inside out after I use this, although everyone’s skin of course has different needs. They have a great variety to choose from.

Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% – The Ordinary

“Ascorbyl Glucoside is a water-soluble derivative of Vitamin C.” This is a fast absorbing Vitamin C serum that brightens the skin and acts as an antioxidant. It goes on smoothly and gives my skin a healthy, vibrant shine.

Bubblewrap – Glossier

This is an eye and lip moisturizer that I have to say, impressed me. Less than a pump gives you plenty of product and I typically distribute it between each eye and my lips before I dab it in. I took a longer time doing my eyes once and by the time I got to my lips, the spot I’d dabbed had basically absorbed most of it already- my lips were dry as heck. 

The difference in my lips before and after this cream is amazing, they’re so much plumper and softer. And while I can’t speak to the long term effects on the undereye due to my inconsistent usage, I can say that it definitely hydrates them in the moment, although it might be a bit too wet for you without waiting a decent amount of time if you’re planning on putting makeup overtop.

Eau Roma Water – Lush

This is essentially a two-ingredient toner that works as a great moisturizer base or even as a lightweight, quick sip of hydration for the skin. It makes the skin feel calm and balanced, and ready for hydration.

Priming Moisturizer – Glossier

I have a hard time with moisturizers. It’s easy for them to feel heavy and greasy and do more damage than they’re worth, so a nice light moisturizer is very appreciated by me. The thing I like about this one is its buildability. You can distribute a small amount for sheer, refreshing coverage or build it up for more hydration if your skin is really feeling thirsty. I especially love using it after a shower, which is when my skin feels driest. It also comes in a cute paint-style squeeze bottle which isn’t necessarily useful information but is something that brings me a teensy bit of happiness when I look at it.

Tea Tree Oil (Any Provider)

I like to finish off with a bit of tea tree oil in my problem spots. I love the smell and it keeps my skin a little more in order.

Sleepy – Lush

This is a body lotion that’s a delicious concoction of lavender and tonka. As you can tell by the name, it’s a soothing before-bed scent that in true Lush fashion only requires a small amount to totally hydrate.  I received my pot as part of a Christmas gift, so whenever I use it I think of chilly winter nights and Christmas warmth.

American Cream – Lush

This mouth-watering body wash contains strawberry and vanilla and smells like a strawberry milkshake. It’s a super-hydrating cleanser and can be purchased in the bottled-cream or solid naked forms. I personally love to use mine as a shaving lotion as it moisturizes so well that it reduces a lot of irritation. 

Side note: For those of you who don’t know, when you use five of the black pots that Lush products are sold in, you can bring them into the store and trade them in to be recycled for a free, fresh face mask! I’ve done this a couple of times and it’s an easy, fun process. 

Anyways, that’s my go-to inside/outside glow plus a few other favourite care items! Even when you’re swamped, a 15-minute skincare treat is totally doable and it’s good for you, a great option for when you need to decompress. 

I'm an undergrad student who's all about balance: my favourite pants are of the pyjama variety and I love to cozy up inside with Netflix and coffee, but I also love to get outside and walk in our riverside parks or try a new activity in town. You'll find me on campus in the sunniest study spots, soaking up some rays as I work towards my Journalism degree.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!