Wellness

Connection Is Critical During A Pandemic  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

I never thought I would be writing an article on a pandemic, let alone actually living through one, but here we are. During these times it can be really difficult and really scary because things that are normally predictable are now unknown. This isn’t ideal for our mental health either. A lot of us are practicing social distancing and it can be lonely, however, a huge thing I want to point out is that social distancing doesn’t mean we have to stop talking or connecting. Perhaps you are confined to your house by yourself, or you are living with a friend, boyfriend or family. You are not only connected to those you live with. Also, it doesn’t mean you have to hide in your room alone and avoid talking to loved ones or friends who live across the city. Social distancing is important but so is connection with others who are also struggling.  

During times of doubt or crisis we need to show signs of love and comfort to the people we love. While social distancing and isolation, we can still do these things without being in the same room as those we care about. We can call, skype, video chat, text, connect on social media through pictures of your nieces, cousins, aunts, grandparents etc. It’s important to still be there for one another during these times and let people known that things are going to be ok. We need to be each other’s cheerleaders in times of doubt, because when you connect with a bunch of people who are going through the same thing you can find a sense of calmness and support. You can tackle the unknown together and be each other’s support system. 

I believe that even when the future is unknown and we are stressed, it’s good to have someone there who is going through the same situations or feelings. Those who stay positive about the future give us a sense of hope that everything will be ok. If we are alone and we avoid talking to people, we sink into our own thoughts and sometimes we think we are alone, which can spiral into unhealthy thinking. All in all, we just need connection and while we are social distancing we can still connect with others for support. 

I hope all of you find support and connection, and reach out to everyone you can. We all need a little communication in times of uncertainty to keep us going. Stay safe and wash your hands. 

Kate Puim

U Alberta '24

Visual Communications graduate turned psychology student. I'm a master at finding affordable beauty products and stylish outfits. I dig coffee, chocolate, bold lipstick and pandas. Mental health advocate and your new best friend.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!