Bagels
Bagels
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Adventures in Cooking: Cheeseburger Buns

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

During this time of social distancing I have found myself with lots of time on my hands and so naturally I have devoted that time towards learning how to cook. I am not a good cook and I am lucky enough to still be living at home while I attend school so cooking was never a skill that was high up on my to do list. So in the spirit of things and due to our current situation going on in the world right now I have decided to take it upon myself to learn new recipes all while documenting my experience! 

A couple of days ago I decided that I was going to make Cheeseburger Buns for my family and the first step was to search online to find the perfect recipe. I have made them once before in my high school foods class so I had a rough idea on how to make them but I wanted to find the perfect recipe to ensure success. I found an awesome one on Taste of Home that I will attach here in case you want to try it out yourself! https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cheeseburger-buns/ 

I prepared all my ingredients listed on the recipe and I set out creating the dough. I have never made any sort of bread on my own before so it was definitely a daunting experience at first but as I got more into it I found it oddly soothing. My dough was super sticky to start out so make sure you have tons of extra flour on hand so you can achieve a smooth texture. The recipe says to knead your dough for 4-6 minutes but I found that after 3 minutes my dough was ready to go. Once it’s dough you cover it and let it rise for about 30 minutes, however I made mine pretty early in the day so I let it rise for a couple of hours before I actually ended up assembling the meal. 

One thing I did not account for was how long it takes to assemble the buns so make sure you provide yourself with adequate time if you want to be eating by supper time. I loved assembling them as it was like putting dumplings together however it is quite a process with all the steps needed to put them together. The recipe also says it makes 16 but I had tons of extra dough and made way more than that so keep that in mind when you are making them and are preparing your filling of hamburger meat. 

Once assembled the actual cooking time is super quick and they are ready to go in about 10 minutes. They are super delicious and they also make quick and easy leftovers for the next day! I highly recommend trying this recipe out as it is super easy and tasty! 

Rieley Tomkinson

U Alberta '22

Rieley is a third year Elementary Education student at the University of Alberta. When she's not busy studying you can find her binging a new Netflix show, singing along to musicals, playing with her dog or curled up with a new book.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!