“Wear Sunscreen” and the life advice you need to hear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Sometimes I want to receive advice about everything and anything. I want to hear that it is going to be alright and feel inspired to create, to be innovative, and to continue pursuing my goals and aspirations. I personally don’t think that in my short lifetime I have lived through enough experiences to give myself that advice or give it to somebody else. Because of that, I like to listen to Mary Schmich’s essay written in the Chicago Tribune for the graduating class of 1997. “Wear Sunscreen” gives a series of advice that can inspire you and reassure you that everything is going to be okay.  

Here I leave you with my favorite pieces of advice dispensed in the essay. Enjoy!

“Don’t worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.” 

While it is easier said than done, I find it important to remember that worrying about the future is useless. Often in college, we are drowned by thoughts of what might happen in the future but know that the only thing you can do today is live through it and do your best. 

“Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you are ahead, sometimes you are behind. The race is long and in the end, it is only with yourself.” 

Comparing yourself to others and undermining your achievements because of other’s triumphs is very common, especially in college. Understand that in the end, everyone else is just trying to live their life and be successful and that comparing yourself to them is only going to hurt you. Live your life and be proud of what you can achieve. 

“Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.” 

YES! Do it like Meredith and Christina in Grey’s Anatomy. Dance your sorrows away. Play music and dance around until there is nothing left to do. It’s great exercise and it can really change your mood and attitude towards the day ahead. 

“Travel.” 

While it is very idealistic to be able to travel, sometimes it isn’t as easy as it seems. Regardless of that, make an effort to save up and travel as often as you can. It gives you great experiences and lets you meet people that walk all paths of life. As a college student, travel to places you never thought you would and take advantage of your youth to travel uncomfortably. Go backpacking through Europe or Latin America, sleep in hostels, travel in buses, cars, and airplanes and get to know the world every time a little bit better. 

“Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling for more than it’s worth.” 

Live by these short sayings by Mary Schmich and take your time to watch the video here or read the article here and rest assured that everything is going to be okay. 

I was born in Bogota,Colombia and moved to New Orleans during the summer of 2018. I traveled through Colombia and Latin America during my time at home and I am hoping to travel more in the next couple of years. I love baking and playing the Ukulele. I spend some of my free time reading and binge watching Grey's Anatomy or Friends.
Her Campus Tulane