bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Steps to Become Your Own Personal Trainer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Do you love exercise classes, but when you step foot in a gym you can’t motivate yourself to do a complete workout? You’re not alone, ladies.

Exercise classes are so effective because there’s constant encouragement and motivation to work your butt off. When it comes to doing this yourself, however, many people struggle to design a complete workout and find it difficult to push themselves. With the following tips, you’ll be able to create a vigorous workout and encourage yourself to complete the entire thing.

Design a Workout

Many people believe that if they are not actually a personal trainer then they don’t have the proper knowledge to do it themselves. Ever heard of a thing called Pinterest? It’s an effective tool because there are thousands of workout for every muscle group, so you can always find a new move if you get sick of the one you’re doing. Along with Pinterest, there are helpful websites, such as Bodybuilding.com and Poliquingroup.com, that have routines and tips on form and recovery.

Find routines that fit your ability; if you’re a beginner, start with simple moves and go from there. It helps to find moves that incorporate two muscle groups at once, such as a squat to overhead press, for the most effective calorie burn and muscle strengthening.

When compiling your routine, I find it easiest to use a notebook and write down the routine. You can also print out the different moves and make a packet. I don’t recommend using your phone to view your routine while you exercise. Chances are you’ll get distracted and find yourself scrolling through food porn five minutes later (been there, done that).  

Equipment

If you belong to a gym, they will more than likely have all of the equipment you need. If you’re working out at home, you can invest in some dumbbells if you plan on using them frequently. Heavy objects, such as water bottles or soup cans, can also function as weights. Just be sure to check that wherever you’re going, they have what you need. Want free equipment? Use your own bodyweight.

Set Aside Time

When you first start off, an hour should be plenty of time. Make sure that you can designate a block of time solely to your workout and that you’re not stressed about getting anywhere. Without stress to get somewhere, you’re more likely to complete your entire workout.

Choose Your Music

Before you go, compile a playlist that will last as long as your workout. I prefer fast music with heavy beats to keep me going, but everyone is different. An armband is an effective way to keep your hands free and the music going while you lift.

Motivate

If you’re halfway through your workout and you feel like giving up, just challenge yourself to five more. Five more reps, five more minutes of cardio; five reps is a low number that can always be done, I promise you. After you continue to do this, it becomes a mental challenge and you’ll find yourself pushing yourself five reps past those first five.

Asia Bradlee is a senior studying Public Health and English at Tulane University. She grew up in Boston, MA and has a passion for health and wellness writing. Asia has experience at Boston Magazine as the digital health intern and maintains her own wellness blog, Healthy, Hungry, Happy.