DaoCloud: An Innovative Approach to Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

For many people, the internet can be an overwhelming place to search for and find a quality health professional.  There is often too much information and we can’t focus our searches on exactly what we want.  A new startup, DaoCloud, is a holisitic health network focused on solving this problem.  To learn more about the company and all of the amazing services it has to offer, I got to speak with Max and Eric, the two co-founders, to learn more!

1) What is DaoCloud?

Eric: DaoCloud is technology that empowers people to improve their self-care practice.

Max: DaoCloud is a social network where people can find and share resources to support their self-care practice.

2) How did the idea for DaoCloud come about?  

Eric: I noticed a few pain-points that were all tied together. I was diagnosed with a chronic autoimmune disease around age 18 and noticed many other people struggling with similar conditions — not being well supported by the conventional medical community. After doing some research, and realizing that 1 in 2 Americans suffers from a chronic health condition, it also became clear that the wellness community is not well supported whether by insurance, government, or technology. Max and I realized, actually while studying for an economics exam, that software could be designed to solve all of these problems.

Max: We noticed that people wanted to practice self-care, but it was hard to find trusted resources.

3)  How do I join DaoCloud and what exciting services will I have access to when I join?

Eric: To become a member, you can signup with your name, email address, and zip code – or with Facebook – and an invitation code. You’ll have access to a community of wellness professionals and resources like yoga instructors, personal trainers, physical therapists, acupuncturists, nutritionists, naturopathic doctors, (and more) and all of the resources that they share through their profiles.

Max: You can join DaoCloud with an invitation. Then, you build a wellness profile where you share all the resources that you use and trust. You’ll be able to find trusted wellness professionals and share resources with friends so you can continuously improve your self-care practice.

4) How would you define self-care?  How is it relevant to DaoCloud and your message?

Eric: Self-care is the process of continuously improving our quality of life. Whether by exercising, eating well, building supportive connections, or all of the above — DaoCloud is designed to support the overall shift that’s currently taking place away from a sick-care model and towards a self-care model.

Max: Self-care is the idea that you take care of your health. Most of us already practice self-care every day by eating well and staying active. DaoCloud is a tool to support and improve that practice.

5)  What do you hope to see with the future of DaoCloud?  

Eric: We aim to be the most trusted online health resource. On DaoCloud, self-care will be the conventional system, and people will be supported with information technology to improve their decision making abilities.

Max: I see DaoCloud being used as a tool by hundreds of millions of people, as the world rapidly becomes more health conscious.

Asia Bradlee is a senior studying Public Health and English at Tulane University. She grew up in Boston, MA and has a passion for health and wellness writing. Asia has experience at Boston Magazine as the digital health intern and maintains her own wellness blog, Healthy, Hungry, Happy. 
Her Campus Tulane