Two Years In Toronto: How I expanded my horizons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

On Aug. 30, 2021, I wheeled my suitcase into a single dorm room at Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU). I had no idea whether I had made the right choice to move over 150 kilometres away from the only home I’d ever known. Now, two years later, I know moving to Toronto was the best decision I’ve ever made. 

As part of the “lucky” group who didn’t have a high school prom or graduation, when I applied to universities, I did so without being able to visit them in person. Being 18 years old, amid a global pandemic, I chose to attend a school in the country’s biggest city. 

Growing up in a small town offers a very small perspective of the world. Toronto was like a utopia with endless possibilities where I could be whoever I wanted. I could find my own identity without being bound to the limitations of where I lived.

In my second year of university, I truly experienced freedom living in an apartment off-campus with two roommates. I finally had the independence I craved most during my teenage years, knowing I was responsible for myself and my home. 

My apartment is my sanctuary, and I find solace in my bedroom. It’s small but cozy, with blankets and pillows piled on the bed and photos covering the walls. My favourite memories from the past year have been in my apartment, from birthday parties to movie nights with my roommates.

Navigating relationships is part of growing up, whether they’re romantic, platonic or your relationship with yourself. In Toronto, I’ve found friends who bring me joy and comfort during the highs and lows and accept me for who I am. I’m so grateful for the people I’ve met who have shaped my experiences and created memories with me.

There is always something new to do in the city. From parks to coffee shops and thrift stores to markets, there’s something for everyone. I’m rarely bored or out of things to do here, as there’s always something or somewhere to explore. 

I often get asked if I miss out on a traditional campus experience by attending university in Toronto, to which the answer is simply, “no.” I love TMU’s campus as I love being in the heart of the city. It’s a location like no other, and I feel part of the community within my program and faculty. 

Now, I’m in my third year of university, more than halfway through my four-year program. The past two years of my life have been possibly the most monumental I’ve lived so far. I’ve learned so much about myself as a person, a student and a friend.

I’m proud of myself for taking the leap to move to Toronto, step outside my comfort zone and expand my horizons. Now, in 2023, if I could go back two years to Aug. 30, 2021, I would tell myself that everything will work out, and I’ll be the happiest I’ve ever been.

💌 Related: Love Letter to University
Chloe Bard

Toronto MU '25

Chloe is a third-year Professional Communication student at Toronto Metropolitan University, passionate about pop culture, fashion, and sharing too much about herself online. When Chloe’s not writing, you can find them crocheting, reading Jane Austen, or taking pictures around Toronto on film @chloeisabellafilm.