This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) students dive into a new year and our new selves, a lot of what we carried with us in 2023 will NOT be coming with us in 2024.

Trying to be an academic weapon is hard enough as it is without some of the crazy things we are used to seeing and experiencing on campus. I want to offer you all some guidelines for academic success and preservation during this winter semester, as protecting our peace is a number one priority this year. 

Out: Kerr Hall

Abolish, abolish, abolish. From the moment I stepped foot on campus in 2021, I had no idea where I was going or what I was looking at when navigating Kerr Hall. If your major has an office in that building or requires you to have most of your classes there, my most heartfelt condolences, friend, because that could not be me. 

Also, apart from not being able to tell where I am going in there, I always find myself so overheated when walking through it. Regardless of whether I am in the hallways or, god forbid, the basement, I am never at a comfortable temperature when spending time in Kerr Hall.

This has been an out for me since my first year, and I hope you feel the same.

Out: Slow walkers

OH MY GOD, MOVE!

For being smack dab in the middle of downtown Toronto, the city-life hustle and bustle does not register with many individuals on campus. As someone who has been living here for almost three years now and has developed a serious condition called “Power Walking Syndrome,” I can’t slow down, and to be honest, I don’t think I need to.  

For all of the students who are chronically late for class, drink too much caffeine, or are just spaced out and walking quickly with their headphones on, let’s stand in solidarity this year to not be guilted into walking slowly on campus. 

Can we normalize pushing people, or is that too much?

Out: Balzacs

The hype needs to go! Paying $7 for your morning latte and having to wait ten minutes for it, all while avoiding eye contact with that one person you recognize from a class and have talked to literally once or twice is all too much for me to handle.

Not to mention, it’s so crowded in there — like, all the time! In my three years at TMU, I have never sat down in there because there has never been an open seat!

All that being said, I’m not gonna sit here and write this story without mentioning that I do understand why people enjoy this campus cafe. Everyone just wants to live out their uni life fantasy by getting their pretty, little coffee, a treat, and heading to class feeling responsible and ready for the day. I heavily relate, but I also heavily rebuke.

As I said before, I choose peace this year. Financially and personally.

Now I will state more of my opinions that you did not ask for. Here we have our TMU Ins!

IN: rac fitness classes

These fitness classes are some of the best things this school has to offer, and I urge every single one of you to get your butt in a class because it’s so worth it.

I took so many classes over the summer, including pilates, spin, yoga, kickboxing, and dance, and loved every one of them. The instructors are so professional and will work your ass off, and all of the classes are only 45 minutes to an hour.

I would always take my friends with me, too, because going alone was very scary for me, so if you can do that and the sessions fit your class schedule, I highly suggest you take them.

Also, it’s literally included in your tuition, meaning it’s free (girl math), so go take that spin class!

in: Oakham cafe

Get on the Oakham Cafe train, people!

This cheap, delicious, and friendly student-staffed spot on campus has been my holy grail since it reopened last year. The food is fire, their iced chai is amazing, and it’s so cheap!

They offer lots of specials as well, like the student loan breakfast, which is a large combo of foods all for under $10. They also offer their soup of the day, which always goes great with their different choices of sandwiches or pasta.

I always come here with friends in between classes or if I want to grab some food on my way home from campus. This place can get busy, though, and the line will be out the door — but it moves fast.

The downside is that it’s another place on campus where you will be making eye contact with someone you’ve met once, but this time the price of your coffee will be worth it for the awkward interaction.

in: participating in student initiatives

I used to consistently ignore the social functions, workshops, or club pop-ups on campus due to pure laziness, but this year I found myself getting into them.

Student groups on campus offer so many fun and educational activities that are worth your time if you decide to go. For example, every year, the Creative Industries Course Union (CICU) hosts a pub night, and it’s so fun! I went last year for their Taylor Swift night, and it was so exciting to see so many familiar faces from campus and support such an amazing program!

As I mentioned before, the workshops offered on campus are really insightful as well. The school puts a lot of money into making sure we as students have accessible help for writing papers, finding housing, studying, and a lot of other great topics to know as students. If you find yourself struggling with anything educational or even personal, I would check to see if our school offers any help for your situation.

Though our beloved university makes my head spin at times, I do find joy in a lot of the things our campus offers.

This year is all about positivity and peace people, so let’s try and include TMU in that mix. 

Olivia Harbin

Toronto MU '25

Olivia Harbin is a third-year Journalism student at TMU and is excited to be working with such an amazing group of writer’s at TMU's Her Campus. She was born and raised in North Carolina and moved to Toronto during her first year at TMU. After instantly falling in love with the city, she is planning to stay here after graduation and work within news broadcasting. When she is not busy writing, you can find her playing guitar or cuddling with her cat! Her Instagram is @oliviaharbinnn