This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

With most classes back in person after almost two years, it feels as if it is September again, but without the new school year motivation and drive. Mid-year burnout is here again, ready to take us all down. Here are some simple yet effective tips to avoid burnout, and push through the remainder of the semester, while maintaining your sanity.

1. Stick to a routine

Bad habits pick up quick, and once you lose sight of your routine, it’s hard to get back on track, whether that be a morning and night skincare routine, or a study schedule you built for yourself. Sticking to a basic routine can keep you accountable and avoid procrastination. Even simple things such as having a clean room and workspace can keep you motivated. Often, when going through burnout we feel sluggish and gross, so even remembering to drink water daily can go a long way.

1. Stay on campus

To help separate your social life and self-care time from your school life, stay on campus and try to complete all school-related work there. You can easily be more productive when surrounded by others working around you. Only returning back home when you’re done with all your school work can help you relax and spend more time on yourself. 

1. Go outside and breathe in the fresh air

The weather is getting warmer with spring just around the corner, so remember to take advantage of it. Fresh air helps wake up your body and remove the stuffiness you may have been feeling for the past couple of months. Try walking around local parks or biking around your neighbourhood. When going to nearby places, walk instead of driving.

1. Remember what you’re working towards

Don’t lose sight of your goals. Reminding yourself of the goals and expectations you have for yourself can help you jump back on track. Remember, you are not the only one feeling burnout. When nearing the finish line, sprint don’t slow down. Don’t lose hope, you’re almost there. I believe in you!

Shobi Siva

Toronto MU '25

Shobi is a third-year Economics student at Toronto Metropolitan University, minoring in English. With a passion for writing, hoping to connect young woman in post-secondary education through open, and candid conversations. All while keeping things light hearted, reassuring, and being unafraid to laugh at yourself.