This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Introvert or extrovert, at some point in life, we all need to escape from the world by hiding behind a book or maybe even taking a solo trip. Society has created the idea that if you do not socialize enough, you don’t fit in. In my opinion, this is a huge lie.

I used to be an introvert and didn’t talk to anyone until I decided to change myself and start socializing with people so I could be a part of their “cool” group. For a while, it felt incredible to have so many friends, and I loved the kind of attention I was receiving, but all this happiness was temporary. I soon realized that with all this socializing comes toxicity and politics. The real world is so much different than what we think. Socializing is not a bad thing, in fact, socializing may introduce you to important people in your life by landing so many great opportunities in life.

I feel everyone has this insecurity, but only you can only grow out of it if you meet new people, take risks in life and show confidence. I don’t think this is wrong, but it makes it possible to actually grow in your career and life. Real growth, which is individual growth, or growing as a person, happens when you are alone; with your thoughts and no outside influence. This does not mean that you should shut yourself from the world. This means that if you feel like you want to be alone for a while, that is completely okay.

Anti-social phases are important. 

Our body and mind need time to connect, and that can only be done when you do not have any outside negativity around you. It is quite fair to want to be on your own, not go out for a while and not talk to a lot of people. It is okay if you don’t feel like replying to texts for a while, we need to normalize giving people their personal space and understand that life happens and everyone needs their own mental peace.

Personally, I love my anti-social phases because it gives me time to think about a boatload of things and makes me appreciate little things in life. Yes, my friends do complain to me once in a while–when I am going through one of these phases–saying that I don’t care about them or am not interested in meeting with them. It is very draining to try to make them understand every time, but, with time, the real friends I have, who know me well, give me time. These friends understand how these phases are important and helpful for me and my mental health. That is another pro about having an anti-social phase: you realize who the real ones who love and would be there for you actually are. So, don’t force yourself to socialize when you don’t feel like it and just do you. It’s worth it, I promise.

🧠 Related: 5 Things to Remember when Dealing with Loneliness
Yanika Saluja

Toronto MU '25

Yanika is a Journalism student at Ryerson University. Her interests include writing, reading, binge watching series and drinking lots and lots of coffee. She feels that she has a unique point of view towards the world and she likes sharing it through her writings. She loves to travel and talking to new people. She can play a little guitar too!