Wellness

Why Your Skincare Routine Needs Double Cleansing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

While I was searching for a way to get rid of the prominent blackheads on my nose, I stumbled upon a concept I’d never heard before: double cleansing. As a fan of Korean skincare, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that this was a popular part of the K-beauty skincare routine. Double cleansing continues to be a staple in my skincare routine today, and I highly recommend that you make it a part of yours as well!

Like the name implies, double cleansing is a two-step process involving an oil-based cleanser followed by a water-based cleanser. I know what you’re thinking, “Why would I want to wash my face with oil? Won’t that just make my skin even worse?” When I first learned double cleansing, I thought that I wouldn’t be able to practice it since I had oily skin. But allow me to explain. 

The double cleansing method is based on a simple principle you might remember from high school chemistry: like dissolves like. The first, oil-based cleanser will help dissolve and get rid of oil-based impurities in the skin like sebum, sunscreen, and pollutants. (Oil cleansers are also great at removing makeup!) After that, the second, water-based cleanser gets rid of water-based impurities like dirt and sweat. (The typical cleanser that most people use is water-based.) The two types of cleansers work together to gently remove impurities from your skin without stripping it, and they provide a deep clean that ensures that all the impurities on your face have been removed. This leaves your face feeling soft and smooth for the rest of your skincare routine. 

Not only do I double cleanse for my nighttime routine to get rid of all the impurities from throughout the day, but I also do it in the morning before I get started with my day. Even though you probably don’t go to sleep with a face of makeup or sunscreen on, you should still double cleanse in the morning to remove any oil or sebum that accumulated on your skin while you slept. It also doesn’t hurt to have a completely clean face to feel refreshed as you start your day! 

Oil cleansers come in a liquid or solid form, and I personally love using solid cleansing balms. Currently, I’m using the Banila Co Clean It Zero Cleansing Balm Original. The pink, minimalistic packaging is adorable, but the results are even better! Before doing anything, I make sure that my hands and face are dry. Then, using the provided plastic spatula, I scoop a small amount of the balm into the palm of my hand (remember, a little goes a long way!) Next, I use my fingertips to gently massage the balm all over my face for about two minutes. Sometimes, when my face is really dirty or I haven’t cleansed in a while, I can actually feel the grit coming out of my face as I’m applying the balm! When I’m done, I put a bit of water on my hands and massage it onto my face to emulsify the balm. To finish, I rinse my face with water to wash everything off and follow it up with my water-based cleanser. 

Although it might sound like a hassle to add another step to your skincare routine by double cleansing, I can’t recommend it enough! Within a week of me starting to double cleanse, the blackheads became a lot less noticeable and my nose was feeling much smoother. Even when I’m feeling lazy, I make sure to at least double cleanse my face before going to bed. I hope you try out double cleansing for yourself because your skin will definitely thank you for it!

Sources:

Britney is a sophomore at UT majoring in International Relations and Global Studies. In her free time, she enjoys reading, discovering new recipes, and finding the next best skincare product.
Chandler is a senior at UT double majoring in English and Chinese while pursuing a Certificate in Global Management. She currently serves as one of HerCampus Texas' Campus Correspondents and adores live music, dogs, friends, and mindful living ♥