mug food network chocolate?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mug food network chocolate?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Career > Her20s

Top 5 Mug Recipes to Make in Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Eating ramen and pb&j sandwiches can get sort of boring. And dining hall food can get exhausting after a while. But what is there to do when you live in a tiny dorm with small appliances? Here are some fun, easy homemade meals to make in your dorm.

1. Homemade Mac and Cheese in a Mug

Everyone can get tired of the Kraft and mac and cheese bowls, so this meal is a fun switch-up. First, you have to place your desired amount of macaroni noodles in a mug, drown the noodles in water, and add a pinch of salt. Once you microwave for 2-3 minutes, you can drain the water from the noodles, then add a splash of milk, your favorite kinds of shredded cheese on top of the noodles, and heat it again for 30 seconds, and there you go, homemade mac and cheese. 

2. Any Type of Omelet 

When moving to college, eggs can become a scarcity in your diet. Sure the dining hall may serve eggs, but the quality is far from five stars. Lucky for you, a quick microwavable omelet can show up your bland dining hall eggs in the best way possible. You have to crack two eggs in a mug, mix in your desired toppings, add some salt and pepper, and microwave for 2-3 minutes. And voila! You have a yummy homestyle omelet.

3. French Toast

This one seems a little far-fetched, but it’s worth trying. First, you cut up a slice of bread into small squares for this mug recipe. Then, mix two tablespoons of milk, one egg, a dash of cinnamon, and less than a teaspoon of vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Once you finish that, place all your ingredients in your mug and microwave for one to one and a half minutes. When you finish, feel free to add any berries and syrup.

4. Bagel Sandwich

If you’re a bagel enthusiast, this one is for you. Grab a mug and place one egg in and microwave for one minute. Then heat your bagel in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds, then let it sit for a couple of seconds to get crispy. After, put spinach leaves on one end of the bagel, a slice of cheese, your flattened egg at the bottom of the mug, sliced turkey meat, and a tomato. And now you have a superior homemade bagel.

5. Chocolate Mug Cake

College can be tiring. I think it is high time to treat yourself to some chocolate cake. In this recipe, you will need less than half a cup of sugar, two tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, less than a quarter teaspoon of baking soda, a pinch of salt, three tablespoons of milk, two tablespoons of canola oil, one tablespoon of water, and a quarter teaspoon of vanilla extract. There you have it! A sweet treat after a long day of hard work.

Overall, cooking in a dorm feels like a limited experience. But with these five recipes, it doesn’t have to be. So take a break from dining hall food every once in a while and microwavable ramen, and try one of these homemade recipes when you need a bit of change.

Talisa Treviño is a Junior (2025) Journalism major and Government minor in the Moody College Honors Program at The University of Texas. She is interested in audio storytelling and feature writing. When she has down time her hobbies include watching too much Bravo reality TV shows and playing Animal Crossing New Horizons.