Spring 2023 Fashion Trends You Need To Add To Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

With Spring right around the corner, it’s time to ditch the puffers and begin preparing for the warm sunny days and breezy afternoons ahead of us. Taking a look back at New York Fashion Week for Spring 2023, these are some of my favorite trends I can’t wait to not only see, but invest in this Spring!

1. Denim

Trends come and go, yet denim will never go out of style! There will always be a new way to elevate this everyday wardrobe piece. My current favorite and timeless trend is denim on denim. While this is controversial, as a former denim-on-denim hater, I truly think it can be a look, if you follow one simple rule, MATCH YOUR DENIM. This is where I think people usually go wrong when wearing a denim-on-denim outfit. By matching, I do not mean they have to be the exact denim shade, but basing an outfit on a shade of denim and keeping it in that wash elevates the outfit. 

Not only will denim on denim be in this spring, but accessorizing with denim pieces will also be something we will be seeing. From denim handbags to dresses, we will be serving Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake realness this spring!

2. Maxi Skirts/Dresses

While I love a mini skirt/dress moment, this spring I will be indulging in maxi skirts/dresses. With the Spring 2023 fashion show reviving longer length, I am excited to see the variety of maxis incorporated into everyday looks! These are not only a staple but timeless. Having a plain black maxi skirt can elevate any outfit giving it a more feminine vibe. While black is my personal staple color, maxi denim and cargo skirts are other styles I will be incorporating into my wardrobe. 

Maxi dresses being a spring trend come to no surprise as we have all heard of the notorious Skims dress. While I personally don’t have Skims dress money, I do love the sleek figure-hugging look it gives. 

3. Cargo pants

Throwing it back to the 90s and early 2000s, cargo pants are back this spring, but not just pants. Cargo skirts, jackets, etc. are coming back with the rise of utilitarian fashion. 

Whether you style them with a plain top and sneakers for an everyday look or a corset top with lower-waisted cargo pants with a heel for a night out, the versatility of cargo pants is ideal for these sunnier days ahead of us! When talking about cargo pants, I am talking about a loose fit and not the ones with scrunch-tight bottoms! This spring is all about a loose pant fit. 

4. Bikini tops/Lingerie as tops

This is probably the trend I am the most excited about! This is taking crop tops to the next level and quite literally just ditching the shirt part of the outfit. While we’ve been experimenting with wearing lingerie under blazers, this year we’re ditching the cover-ups. As a sweaty gal myself I think this is going to be perfect for everyday wear. During breezier days though, I will be adding a bolero (Boleros are also a fav statement piece!). 

There are endless possibilities for styling a simple piece such as, again BLACK IS MY COLOR, a simple black bra. Paired with one of our other favorite 2023 spring trends such as a maxi denim skirt or cargo pants, this modern take on lingerie is sure to take over these sunnier blooming days. 

Hello! My name is Karla Rojas and I am a Sophomore majoring in Government at the University of Texas at Austin. I love fashion, politics, and would love to think I am a comedian.