Wellness

Self Improvement Through Yoga: My Favorite Studios in Austin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Listen I get it, every self-help article you’ve read has told you that yoga is a good way to destress and improve your lifestyle. And it will. However, people take a few classes and realize that the practice is a lot harder than it seems. They give up and feel that yoga was a waste of time. I’m here to tell you, however, that investing in a long-term physical and mental practice will be the best thing you can do for yourself.

Yoga is such a versatile practice because it comes in many forms, ranging from meditative to toning, with yin, restorative, vinyasa, power and sculpt being some of the most popular types. The classes vary depending on what studio you attend and it certainly took some trial and error before finding which one I felt was the best in. Here are my top three choices, and yes they’re pricey, but all offer student discounts and new member deals that are worth checking out.

1) Black Swan Yoga: 403 Orchard St, Austin, TX 78703

This is one of the OGs, the first studio I explored once I started college. It has various locations around Austin, the closest one to campus being Orchard. It is a donation-based hot yoga studio, with a recommended minimum being $10 per class. However, you can also get a membership for $88 a month, which gives you unlimited classes. This is by far the most affordable studio I’ve tried and for the various types of yoga it offers, it’s quite a good deal. Some classes they offer are ashtanga, medication, candlelight slow flow, hot onnit, beginner flow, power flow, and chill flow. This is a good studio to start with, it helps you learn the basics and get used to the heat. 

2) CorePower Yoga: 801 W 5th St I, Austin, TX 78703

I tried out this studio because they had a two-week free new student deal (now it’s just one week) at the time and their yoga sculpt classes caught my attention. Yoga sculpt classes are usually about 90 degrees and they include yoga, cardio and weights to boost metabolism and build lean muscle. Other popular classes are CorePower 2, which is a challenging vinyasa flow, and Hot Power Fusion which is the hottest class. It offers the meditative qualities of hot yoga with the intensity of power yoga. I love this studio so much I couldn’t wait to go back after the summer break. They offer a student discount, making the membership $139… definitely pricier but worth it!! At least try the free week :)

3) TruFusion: 4211 S Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78704

I love how many classes can fit under one roof: barefoot Bootcamp, boxing, cycling, power flow, hot pilates, and hot barre. They literally have it all! This studio is a bit more “fitnessy,” like a gym I would say. The only downside is its distance from campus and the price is also $140 a month. I tried out the $30 for 30 days of unlimited classes and loved every class. My favorite ones are probably the hot pilates and flow classes. Because of how versatile TruFusion is, it is open to everyone’s well-being and self-improvement journeys. 

These are my top three studios in Austin, but I’d love to try more out! If you’ve never tried a class, I know it can be intimidating to go by yourself so grab a friend or reach out to me! I’m always looking for more people to share my love for the physical and mental benefits of yoga. 

*the addresses mentioned are the locations I used to or currently go to, these studio chains have various locations :)

Hi! My name is Valentina Avellaneda and I'm a sophomore social work major from Houston, TX. I went to a performing and visual arts high school, where I found my passion for creative writing (including poetry, creative nonfiction, journalism, etc.) I have pieces published on the Interlochen Review, Teen Ink Magazine and the New York Times. In my free time, I like to spend time with my cat, Cookie, practice hot yoga and try matcha lattes with my friends!