danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Post-Graduation Reality; Career Fair Follow-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Graduating with a degree in this current job market can be helpful, but it’s not guaranteed land you a job related to your field of study. “In this job market, it’s extremely difficult to get placement where you’d like to be placed without that professional degree to supplement your undergraduate bachelor degree,” stated UT graduate Carishia Williams.

Debbie Kubena, Manager and Advisor from the Communication Career Services at The University of Texas-Austin, stated that the possibility of being able to find a job in their area of study depends on many factors. Students should do internships, consult with their Career Services office, and know how flexible they are willing to be in regards to relocating. Besides getting a position that may not be related to your degree, it may also take 3-6 months after graduation to obtain that first job.

“They say you need to go to college so you can find you a good job, but I just graduated from college and I’m working at a place where you can work at while you work at high school so it’s pretty frustrating and obviously it’s not true or at least it takes a long time to find a job with a college degree,” stated UT graduate Trenton Patterson. Career advisors suggest that visiting with your respective career services office in your college will give you an advantage among those who don’t. They will help you plan ahead and create a favorable portfolio and resume for potential employers.