The Perfect Study Spots on Campus and in Austin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

We have reached the middle of October, which means midterms season is upon us. As a college junior, I know how stressful this time can get. Finding the perfect spot can be the key to a good study session. These are some of my favorites around Austin and on Campus

Life Sciences Library

The Life Sciences Library is located in the tower and served as the university’s original library until 1977. This library is beautiful, with high beamed ceilings, light fixtures, and wood accents; it feels like something out of Hogwarts. I like to go here during the day when I need to get work done. The reading rooms are spacious, quiet, and help me stay focused. I know the stacks in this library are good places for private study, and it is my goal next semester to check them out. (They are currently closed due to COVID) 

Student Activities Center Rooftop 

The rooftop of the student union feels like a hidden paradise. After recently discovering it, I like to go up there and do my class Zoom sessions. Especially on lovely days, the space helps to put me at ease amidst a stressful semester. My favorite part of the SAC roof is the James Turrell skyspace exhibit tucked up here. The art installation is called “The Color Inside” and you can read more about it here https://turrell.utexas.edu/ It is my goal in life to go to as many Turrell’s as possible! 

Outdoor Area by The Union and Flawn Academic Center

Although Austin weather can be unpredictable, this area is perfect on good days to get work done and enjoy the outdoors. I like to sit at one of the FAC’s roundtables or one of the many courtyards adjacent to The Union.

Places I Need to Try: Austin Public Library

With free 1 hour parking and stellar views of downtown, what’s not to love about the Austin Public Library. I love public libraries of all shapes and sizes but have yet to try this one. It is on my bucket list to go to their rooftop!

Places I Need to Try: Bennu Coffee

Who doesn’t love a 24-hour coffee shop? My friends all rave about this space, and I’ve heard that it has spacious seating. 

Places I Need to Try: Architecture Library

Like the Life Sciences Library, this UT library is beautiful (it is the architecture library after all). I haven’t visited because they don’t allow food or drink, and I love to study with coffee. I will get there soon!

A study spot can make all the difference between focus and distraction. During the pandemic, it is good to get out of the apartment and dorm and find a place for productivity.

Hi, I'm Madeline Muschalik! This is my fourth year in Her Campus; I wrote for Her Campus at Wake Forest University before transferring to UT in fall 2019. Last year I was the Her Campus Texas Co-President and Campus Correspondent & it was so rewarding. I am excited to explore Austin and learn more about our university through Texas Her Campus. Some of my hobbies include running, reading, yoga, and traveling! I am a Public Relations Major and with a minor in Entrepreneurship and certificate in Creative Writing. Outside of Her Campus I am involved in Texas American Marketing Association, Moody Communication Council, a member of the Kendra Scott WEL Institute Student Council, Texas Kappa Delta, and I am a Transfer Year Interest Group (TRIG) mentor. I love UT & all the amazing opportunities (like Her Campus) that it has to offer!