This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Growing up, whenever I was feeling sad or having a bad day, my mom would tell me to put a smile on my face. She said to look at myself in the mirror and “force a little happiness onto my face.” I found this repetitive response to my sadness to be quite irritating. Sometimes, when I’m upset, I just want permission to commiserate in my feelings and openly experience the blues. I found it to be something that belittled my emotions, making me feel embarrassed that I was openly sad. It turns out, though, a mother might just know best. 

There is a science behind smiling. Faking a grin and shining those pearly whites actually causes a chemical reaction in the brain that raises serotonin levels and creates an emotional experience. The American Psychological Association conducted an experiment in which they studied the effects of facial feedback and its influence on emotional experience. Even if the participants were not aware that they were smiling, the act of smiling improved their mood and emotions. Our body and mood are deeply integrated within each another, and we might just be underestimating the power of a simple smile. 

After learning this surprising information, I put it to the test to see if a smile really does have these supposed superpowers. In times of stress or anger, I practiced taking a moment and forcing a grin (even if I felt completely ridiculous). In all honesty, I would be lying if I said that practicing a smile instantly improved my mood, but it did actually start to become habit. When walking to class and passing a stranger, I would flash a smile. When saying thank you at a store, I would flash a smile. When going up to ask my teacher a question, I would flash a smile. I didn’t realize what kind of extremely optimistic and content person I was accidentally turning myself into until one of my friends commented on the joyful energy I was giving off. She said my smile really made her day and that that she appreciated my “act of kindness.” Sometimes, the simplest things can make the biggest impact. I squinted my eyes, turned the corners of my mouth up, flashed my teeth, and made someone’s day just a little bit better. 

When you’re a happy person, you become a magnet for other happy people to gravitate towards. In this world, you need to expel the same energy you want to receive. Being a joyous presence in day-to-day life is an easy enough task to practice that is mutually beneficial for yourself and the people around you. Be the light you want to see in this world. Be the optimism you crave. Be the person who people think of and grin.

Ryan Levin is a new writer for Her Campus University at the Texas chapter. She is from Chicago, Illinois, and is loving getting to experience southern culture for the first time and explore a brand new place. Ryan loves everything relatable and advice driven, always keeping up with the new trends and offering up her opinions. Beyond Her Campus, Ryan is the Vice President of Marketing for the Kendra Scott Women's Entrepreneurial Leadership Institute Student Board. Within this role, she manages a committee in creating content to be posted on Instagram and publicizes the Institute's upcoming events. She is also a consultant for an organization called Tamid. Ryan is currently a sophomore at The University of Texas at Austin, majoring in Business with a minor in Media and Entertainment Industries. In her free time, Ryan loves playing squash with her dad, binge watching Modern Family, and spending time with her two dogs. She is a sucker for getting a sweet treat after dinner every night, and craves more time to just sit down with a book and read.