This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The life of a college student is extremely busy. Trying to balance work, social life, and self-care can feel impossible. I know that when I get so focused on assignment deadlines and other commitments, I neglect to do the one easiest thing that makes such a big difference in our health day to day: drinking water. We’ve all had those days where we realize it’s already 6 pm and we haven’t had any water to drink. Drinking water is so critical for your body to function properly and efficiently. Without water our cells would not be able to perform cellular respiration. When we lose or use more water than we are putting into our bodies, we can quickly become dehydrated. Dehydration is accompanied by a number of unpleasant symptoms such as fatigue, dizziness, and confusion that can make even the simplest of tasks feel difficult. As college students, it is so important to drink water so that we can stay on top of commitments and take care of ourselves. Here are a couple ways to beat dehydration and feel refreshed throughout the day:

• Actually Drink Water- I know this is a no brainer, but so often we tell ourselves we will drink more water later and then never do. Take the effort to remind yourself to drink water throughout the day. Carry a water bottle around with you. Aim to drink half your body weight in ounces per day.
  • Get electrolytes- Electrolytes are minerals responsible for directing water to areas in your body where it is needed most. They are also vital components for multiple cellular functions. Getting more electrolytes will help you stay hydrated and have more energy throughout the day. Some of my favorite ways to get electrolytes include drinking coconut water, Pedialyte, Gatorade, and electrolyte tablets.
  • Be mindful of hydration before and after exercise- during strenuous exercise your body goes into overdrive and you sweat a ton. It is very easy to become dehydrated if not hydrating properly during exercise. Just make sure to replenish fluids and electrolytes after a workout.
  • Go easy on the caffeine and alcohol- Caffeine and alcohol are natural diuretics meaning they promote the production of urine and can easily dehydrate you if you drink too much. Make sure to be mindful of how much caffeine or alcohol you consume and make sure to drink more water to balance out the diuretic effects.
  • Eat water rich veggies and fruits- Hydration rich fruits and vegetables are excellent sources of not only water, but also electrolytes and other nutrients that promote health. Many fruits and veggies have pretty high water contents that are sure to keep you feeling hydrated and refreshed. A couple of good examples include watermelon, strawberries, cucumbers, peaches, and lettuce.
Cameron Crates is studying Psychology and Chinese at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys watching movies, being around friends, and long-distance running.
Chandler is a senior at UT double majoring in English and Chinese while pursuing a Certificate in Global Management. She currently serves as one of HerCampus Texas' Campus Correspondents and adores live music, dogs, friends, and mindful living ♥