This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Grades mean a lot in college. Whether you’re planning on going to grad school or you’ve always been a high achiever it can cause you to take your grades very seriously. I would know because I have that problem. I would fixate on the percentages in my canvas app and calculate exactly what it took to make an A. My friends noticed how seriously I took myself and were understandably a bit concerned.

I am a high achiever. I stress because I care deeply about my education and my success here at UT. But, grades should never cost you your mental or emotional health. Understand that even though grades are important, you come first. Sometimes there can be a lot of exams during the week but it is also just as important to rest as it is to study.

If you’re cramming for a test, take my advice: Turn off the computer and go to bed. Trust me, you will have plenty of opportunities to get your grade up. Don’t let one little grade get you down. It’ll all work out in the end.

I am a fourth year at the University of Texas at Austin. I am currently studying Asian Languages and Cultures as well as Music Performance. I love making music, doing my makeup, and exploring places to eat.