Wellness > Mental Health

Five Journal Prompts to Interact With Your Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The endless act of self-care can oftentimes be hard to balance among the other aspects of life, but my favorite way to stay in touch with my heart is through journaling. My favorite part about journaling is it doesn’t have to take a certain amount of time or be a certain length, I just write until I don’t want to anymore! Though life certainly fuels many of my entries, it’s always nice to respond to a prompt so that I can be as intentional as possible. Here are five journaling prompts to try this month to help you interact with your heart.

What makes you feel alive?

This is a great time to write about the people and experiences that make life worth living! Take this time to reflect on some of the best memories you have and maybe even plan the next time you’ll seek these life-giving experiences!

Who do I need to be today?

This is my favorite morning prompt! I love using it to take a look at the day ahead and recognize 3 words that could sum up what I need from myself that day.

What do I appreciate about this life stage?

It’s so easy to get overwhelmed with the lives that we’re living and that can lead to us wishing our lives away. This prompt is all about finding greener grass!

What do I need to let go of?

Falling into a cycle of toxic positivity can feel inevitable in this day and age. Now’s the time to look inward and write about the things you’ve been harboring lately.

What can I do to take better care of myself?

You’d think by journaling that this question wouldn’t need to be asked, but alas journaling isn’t everything. This is the time to explore new ways to better care for your heart!

And now you’re off! Grab your coziest pajamas, light your favorite candle, and crack that spine on your new journal!

Hi all! I'm Simone, a 4th-year English Literature & Portuguese Language and Culture student at UT Austin! I'm absolutely obsessed with my 22-pound cat named Chub, Brazil (please ask me about my study abroad program), reading books written for 10-12-year-olds, my gorgeous girlfriend, and matcha lattes.