Five Events in the Austin Area to Mark on Your Calendar This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

By Makenna Moser

Sayonara, summer! With Labor Day in the past and the Autumnal Equinox coming in a few short weeks, fall is coming in a hurry, and I am absolutely loving it! Just thinking about all of the changing colors and cooler temperatures gets me excited. Also, let’s not forget getting spooky on Halloween, fall inspired candles, football season, Thanksgiving, and everything pumpkin-flavored. I mean, what’s not to love when it comes to autumn? With that said, here are five fall events in the Austin area that you should definitely have on your radar in the coming months!

1. The Pecan Street Festival

This biannual festival is one of the largest and longest arts/crafts and music festivals in the nation. It is a free (we love that word here at UT!) festival held in the Downtown Austin Sixth Street Historic District. Hundreds of local and national artisans gather to showcase their creations to the public. There are tons of great food and drink vendors serving a variety of refreshments, which include your typical street food plus healthy options. To further entertain you, 50 of the best local musicians and bands will be rocking out on three different stages! So if by chance you feel like buying some handmade items, stuffing your face, and jamming to some good tunes on the weekend of September 22, The Pecan Street Festival is the place to be! For additional information on The Pecan Street Association and the festival, visit its website: http://pecanstreetfestival.org/

2. Crowe’s Nest Farm Fall Family Fun Days

Each October, Crowe’s Nest Farm has special fall festivals that boast everything from a pumpkin patch to apple cider making. It is also an opportunity to get your hands on some local produce and other goods such as organic produce, breads, jam, honey, eggs, and handmade crafts. It is located in Manor, TX, which is about 15 miles from Austin, but something tells me that this place is worth the drive! The prices for admission are $9 for adults, $7 for ages 3-12, $3 for the age of 2, and under 2 is free. Fall Family Fun Days is hosted every Saturday in October, so there are plenty of opportunities to get your fall fix! Visit the Crowe’s Nest Farm official special events page for more details: http://www.crowesnestfarm.org/

3. House of Torment

If you’re an adrenaline junkie or Halloween enthusiast that enjoys intentionally plaguing yourself with terror, Austin’s House of Torment may be the place for you! This haunted house is constantly being recognized for being one of the scariest in the nation, and it has won many awards and accolades for its performance, being named “#1 Haunted House in America” by Hauntworld Magazine, “One of the most terrifying haunted houses you should experience before you die” by Buzzfeed, “a world class haunt” by The Austin Chronicle, and many more. With a general ticket ranging between $19.99 and $32.99, you buy yourself the ultimate scare experience in three attractions: Blackthorne Penitentiary, Darkest Dreams, and Trick or Treat. This place is popping from the end of September through the beginning of November, so you have plenty of chances to visit. For more information on ticket types, event dates, and more, visit the House of Torment website: https://www.thehouseoftorment.com/index.html

4.  Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg

Okay, so this one isn’t exactly in Austin or its surrounding areas, but the journey is nothing compared to a long, expensive flight to Germany. Fredericksburg is one of the cutest, most culturally rich cities in Texas. Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg is a huge event on October 5-7 in which huge sums of people visit to celebrate the town’s German heritage with music, dancing, food and drink (including lots and lots of beer), and artisan booths.This is an amazing event if you’re someone that wants a great Oktoberfest experience without having to take out a small loan for the real thing. To top it all off, admission for adults is only $8! In my opinion, this one is definitely worth the drive. Visit the official website for more: https://oktoberfestinfbg.com/

5. The Austin Powwow and American Indian Heritage Festival

In true spirit of the story of the first Thanksgiving dinner in history, make sure to visit the Austin Powwow Festival on November 3rd! Join in on the celebration of Native American culture with songs, dances, food, art, and more. For over 25 years, this event has been enriching the people of Austin and elsewhere with real exposure and interaction with a unique heritage. The best part is that you don’t have to have a Native American background to attend; anyone can come to appreciate and learn more about this amazing culture! Admission is $5 if you preorder and $7 at the gate. Austin Powwow website: http://austinpowwow.net/

Makenna is a freshman at the University of Texas at Austin where she is pursuing a double-major in International Relations and Government. This is her first year writing for the Texas chapter of Her Campus. She enjoys all things Harry Potter, learning about politics and current events, catching up on her favorite T.V. shows, cheering for the Longhorns, and spending time with her friends and family.