A Few of My Favorite Yoga Poses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Best Yoga Positions

We just came back from spring break and now it is time to but our nose to the grindstone…and let’s be real, we don’t want to. If you are anything like me you are still tired and want to just go back on vacation. But alas, we are on the downhill of our spring semester, which means we have tons of tests, assignments and finals looming over us. That means we’ll be spending quite a lot of time in the PCL so here are some yoga positions to get you though those stressful times.

1. “Happy Baby Pose” –You simply lie on your back, exhale and bend your knees into your stomach. Then inhale, grip the outsides of your feet with your hands and open your knees a little wider than your torso. Bring your feet toward chest. Position each ankle (still held in your hands) so your calves are perpendicular to the floor. Then push your feet into your hands to create resistance. While doing this simply breathe and focus on the task at hand instead of biology.

2. Touch Your Toes – Wait, what? This is so easy! That is very true but it still really helps get the blood flowing in your tired body. Simply stand up at your full height, and reach for your toes. Bonus points if you then reverse this and stretch toward the ceiling on your toes.  

3. High Lunge – First, bend your front leg forward, letting your back leg  go out in a lunge position. But do not go to the ground, stay more up so your thigh is perpendicular to the ground on your front leg. Then keep your back straight and reach toward the ceiling. Stay in this position for about 15-30 seconds while breathing deeply in and out then reverse your legs.  

4. Sphinx Pose – You will need to lie on the floor for this one, so find somewhere relatively clean. Lie on your stomach with your legs stretched out behind you. Slowly raise your torso up, place your arms out infront of you so you end up on your elbows (which should remain parallel to the floor). Keep your back straight and stretch for 15-30 seconds. Breathe in and out and relax your mind.

5. Legs-Against-the-Wall Pose – For this you will need a clean floor and a wall where you can rest your legs. Start out by laying on your back with your legs resting up against the wall. Make sure your legs are lying perpendicular to the floor and your torso is perpendicular to the wall. Put your arms directly out from your body and breathe in and out as your stretch your back and legs.

6. Warrior II Pose – Start standing up with your feet together. Put your right foot forward, and bend it at the knee so your thigh is perpendicular to the floor. Meanwhile, with your left leg, put it out directly behind you (similar to the High Lunge position). Twist your torso so it is facing to your left but keep your head facing forward. Then slowly lift your arms so they are parallel to the floor. Hold this position for about 30 seconds and then switch feet.

7. Downward Facing Dog – For this you will basically end up looking like a two-sided-triangle. First start by standing up with your feet together. Separate your feet, keeping them in line with your elbows. Then bend down and at the waist and place your hands out in front of you. You are basically making a tent with your body. Stay in this position for as long as needed breathing deeply.

8. “Talk to the Hand” Pose – Start by sitting on the ground with your legs out in front of you. Cross your left leg under your right one (like you are about to sit crisscross-apple-sauce), bring your right leg up and stick it behind your left (crossed leg). You should immediately feel the stretch. Place your right hand behind you and lean into it while bringing your left hand up to rest on your bent right knee. Extend your hand like you are telling someone to talk to the hand. Stay in this position for 15-30 seconds.

9. Tree Pose – Start standing up with your feet together, place one foot, with leg bent on to the thigh/knee area of the other. Your foot should run parallel down your other leg. Then raise your arms above your head so they are both perpendicular to the ground. Hold this position for as long as you can balance and breathe in and out.   

10. Sit Down Pose – This is the easiest pose, and the best to end your easy yoga with. Simply sit crisscrossed. Then place your feet together so your legs are bent and raised off the ground slightly. Put your shoulders back and stretch your back. Hold this position for 1-2 minutes and then get back to studying.

Hopefully these positions can get you through the tough studying you have ahead. Remember you always need breaks and these are the perfect moves to get your blood circulating and your breathing normalized. Good luck!