Chance Steward, 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Name: Chance StewardMajor: BFA ActingYear: SophomoreHometown: Denton, TX

From acting Shakespeare to play heavy metal guitar, Chance Steward is a man of many talents.  Even if you somehow resist those big brown eyes, it’s hard not to be drawn in by Chance’s charm, wit, and lively personality.  Here’s what the sophomore had to say about school spirit, dream dates, and upcoming projects:

Her Campus Texas:  How did you get started in theatre?

Chance Steward:  I’ve always been a performer; I grew up singing badly and making jokes out of everything to make my family to laugh.  That somehow naturally transitioned into me playing football and doing middle school theatre.  When I tried to do the same thing in high school, only one thing really stuck.  My mom always wanted me to be an actor I think, so she was the one who suggested I try it out in the first place.

HCTX:  What’s your favorite part about performing?

CS:  My high school theatre teacher used to say “If you can make ‘em laugh, cry, or think, then you’ve done your job,” so my favorite part is being able to affect someone’s day with what I’ve done.  Whether it’s making them laugh, chuckle, bawl uncontrollably, or just say “hey that was kinda cool,” as long as I’ve affected them in some way, then I’m happy.

HCTX:  What are some of your dream roles?

CS:  Such a tough question!  I could give you the typical theatre answer and say something like Mozart in Amadeus or Phantom in The Phantom of the Opera, but I’m not going to do that.  I’m going to tell you that my dream role is Batman, because it’s true, and will happen.  So keep a lookout for that sometime in the next ten years!

HCTX:  I hear you play a lot of music in your spare time.

CS:  Yes, I’m a musician!  I’ve been playing guitar for about seven years and piano for five.  I also play ukulele.  I sing too, kind of, but generally just stick to the instruments.  I play everything from Ed Sheeran to Metallica to 80’s hair metal.  I write and compose my own music too, and I even compose for other string instruments sometimes, like banjo, violin, etc.

HCTX:  What’s your favorite part about being a Longhorn?

CS:  The spirit.  This school has an insane amount of pride, and it’s impossible to go here and not let that permeate your being.  You don’t even have to care about football or the other sports or activities on campus; it will become a part of you and connect you to every other student here.  You know a university has something magical going on when it can have 50,000 students on a huge campus and you still feel like you’re connected to the entire institution.

HCTX:  Describe your dream date.

CS:  My dream date is simple: going to get some delicious food, then watching some ridiculous movie that we can both make fun of.  So about as classic as you can get!  Dinner and a movie.

HCTX:  Any celebrity crushes?

CS:  Absolutely.  I’ve always had a special place in my heart for Katy Perry.  I know way too many of her songs to just be a casual fan of hers.

HCTX:  What music are you listening to right now?

CS:  I’ve been listening to lots of Journey lately.  Their greatest hits album is basically the soundtrack to my life.  I’ve also been listening to Devin Townsend.  I’ve always been a big fan of his and I’ve been jamming out to more of his stuff lately.  He does everything from ambient country to pop to death metal to electronic.  He’s very impressive and diverse, and also a huge inspiration to me as a musician.

HCTX:  Summarize yourself in three words.

CS:  Passionate.  Fun.  Taurus.

HCTX:  What are some upcoming projects one might attend in order to see you?

I’m in two pieces that are part of The Cohen New Works Festival!  I’m playing guitar and accompanying singers in a project called Life, Love, and What I Lost: A Song Cycle, with original music and lyrics by my good friends Natalie Patton and Lilly Stafford.  I’m also acting in a piece called After.

More information about performances and ticket reservations for The Cohen New Works Festival sponsored by Broadway Bank can be found at http://sites.utexas.edu/new-works-festival/

I am Corisa but a lot of my friends call me Cori! I feel like the real life Hannah Horvath from Girls.