13 Reasons to Watch 13 Reasons Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

13 Reasons to See 13 Reasons Why

Netflix just released its latest original series, and over the past couple of weeks, 13 Reasons Why has been the only thing everyone has been talking about. There are several controversial thoughts regarding the thirteen episodes that were all released at once, a couple with viewer discretion advised, and all with a very sensitive subject.

The show is based off of Jay Asher’s novel that was published in 2007, and it has resurfaced with its powerful message regarding the suicide of a young girl, Hannah Baker. While fictional, Netflix has brought to life a visual of very real, everyday battles that teenagers and adults alike may endure that could ultimately contribute to their dangerous decisions.

So, reader, welcome to your tape. Sit back, relax, and listen up. Here are thirteen reasons why you should press play.

1. The cast is an amazing, diverse group of people. Netflix really did a great job at casting people who could play their role appropriately and with convincible emotions. Each actor and actress fit their character perfectly, from their personality to their looks. You can feel Hannah’s pain through the look in her eyes, burn with hatred for Bryce at the sound of his arrogant jock-voice, and feel sorrow for Clay through his gentle and lost gaze. The book never specifies the race or ethnicity of the characters, but Netflix did a great job at keeping their cast diverse.

2. The cinematography is brilliant. The producers and filmers of the show did an outstanding job at filming the scenes, creating smooth slides between the past and present. When one door closes from a past scenario, it opens to the present, or the camera will glaze over the school hallway of Hannah’s time and into the next hallway of present time. The changes between scenes is done with great skill, and each is shot with an eeriness that alerts you that you are in the past.

3. You’ll binge watch the entire show. There are only 13 episodes-each one dedicated to each tape-and once you start watching, you’ll become hooked. From the drama to the intensity of the show and the characters’ emotions, you’ll snowball your way through all thirteen episodes.

4. Tape recorders and tapes are timeless. Hannah chooses to record her story on tape recorders, not an MP3 player or an iPad voice memo. The usage of these tapes makes the story between the listener and the storyteller that much more intimate, and even though tape recorders aren’t used much nowadays, they are a classic.

5. Sexual assault is brought up. It’s uncomfortable to think about, and even more uncomfortable to watch, but they put it in there for a reason. Both the author and the producers of the show felt it was important to highlight the fact that sexual assault and rape is a very real thing, and it happened to Hannah Baker just like it can happen to anyone. You may be able to turn your gaze from watching it in the show, but in real life we need to be aware of its consequences and refuse to ignore it. Viewer discretion is advised.

6. The events that occur in the show are very realistic. From the language used to the way the high school kids interact with each other, the portrayal of high school life is very genuine. It brings awareness to the little things in life: the things we may say or do that we don’t realize can affect someone, how rumors and petty choices can hurt someone. It’s not some cheesy film about bullying.

7. Staying silent is just as harmful. Half of the time throughout the show you’ll come to hate the characters who don’t speak up on behalf of Hannah, or lie their way through things, or pretend things didn’t happen at all. Oh wait…that’s almost all of them. Watching the show will make you realize just how important it really is to speak up, reach out, and be honest about what’s going on in you or someone else’s life.

8. The music is wonderful. Everyone knows the soundtrack to a movie or show can really amp up the quality of the final product. With a great taste in music (like the song Hannah and Clay dance to), the show really gets that complete touch of mystery and sadness. You can really get into your feels as you watch.

9. The show is mysterious. You don’t really know if Hannah is telling the complete truth. Sure, you’re more likely to believe her because, well, she’s the dead girl. And why would a dead girl lie? This unreliable narrative adds to the mysterious vibe of the show, and keeps you engaged and always questioning.

10. It’s more than just teenage drama. While the story may be centered around an angsty teenage suicide, it does a really great job at involving the school, the community, parents, and all of the students. It becomes relatable for all viewers, and reaches out to a wide demographic of people. It sparks conversation between parents and their children, and between students and friends.

11. Suicide is not pretty, but it’s very real. While some may roll their eyes at Hannah’s story, or dislike the show altogether, the takeaway from it is very serious and very real. The story brings a light to the struggles that people may face in life, the ways they may or may not react, and the signs of suicide. Although some scenes are very brutal and discomforting to watch, they reflect real situations that need to be discussed.

12. Everyone has their own story. Hannah’s story is the main story, but everyone has their own story as well. They may all relate or intertwine at some point, but this show does a really fantastic job at reminding everyone that we all play roles in other people’s lives and that sometime’s the perfect life may not really be all that perfect behind closed doors.

13. There’s nothing else like it. Jay Asher pieced together a unique book ten years ago, and today, Netflix has brought it to life. You won’t be able to find anything quite like it, from the quality of the characters and the acting, to the brilliance of shooting the scenes, to the stories on each tape.

So, what’re you waiting for? Press play.

North East School of the Arts Creative Writing major grad currently attending THE University of Texas at Austin majoring in corporate communication! In addition to writing, I love to run, read, eat, shop, and be with friends.