This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Okay, so now that the semester is officially in full swing, work is piling up and the “after holidays” glow has officially worn off, we’re all back to being under the constant stress that is LIFE. Yes, we know stress is, at this age, very normal. And, yes, we know feeling overwhelmed is a way of life — but WOW does it sometimes get to be a little too much. Sometimes we all just need a nice breather — something to clear our heads and give us our sanity back for crying out loud. Over the years I have perfected a list of activities sure to help get some of your unnecessary angst out. If you’re looking for some real de-stressing activities, read on my friends. 

DANCE IT OUT!

Call me crazy, but this is my number one way to clear my head and feel great while doing it. Dancing is not only fun, but it is a fantastic workout that gets your blood pumping, heart racing and adrenaline flowing. Whether you need to power down after a long day or you need a pick-me-up to push through the rest of the week, I highly recommend this to anyone. This semester I started doing a Zumba class and it has completely changed my mental capacity. It’s become such an amazing outlet for myself and my friend who does it with me. And if you’d rather not do it in an in-class setting, jumping around to your favorite music works just as well for the same effect!

Treat Yourself

Sometimes, the best way to get yourself out of your head is to do something nice for yourself. Maybe that is buying a pint of your favorite Ben and Jerry’s or taking a trip to your nearest mall for some mindless shopping. It’s important to keep your own happiness afloat while maintaining everything you have going on, and this may have to be something you make time for! Even during the day, treating yourself to an overpriced latte or saying yes to plans that night can be a well-deserved treat. It doesn’t have to be something expensive, but it should be something that brings you joy — whatever that means for you!

A Lazy Day

When all else fails, it’s time to clear the schedule and take a mental health day. Understandably, this may not always be the most productive option — but sometimes it’s the most necessary. It is impossible to give your 100% to anything when you are overwhelmed or overworked. Recognize when you’ve hit your limit and make your arrangements to have a BREAK! Blame it on your “great aunt Suzie getting married” or “passing of the dog that you don’t have” and take that time off! And above all, DO NOT feel badly about it — we’ve all done it at one point or another!

Self-Care Night 

This is something that can be done during the week and is great for those long days that felt like they would never end. I have three key parts to these wonderful nights, all of which I think are crucial to having a truly healing experience. Part one is your self care routine — if you’re lucky enough to have a bathtub, throw in a scented bath bomb and break out your favorite face mask. There’s nothing better than feeling cleansed after a lengthy day. Part two is getting comfy — throw on your favorite baggy sweats or pajamas and wrap yourself in your comfiest blanket. And finally, part three is enjoying your alone time — power down your phone and switch on your favorite flick with some junk food or read a book you’ve been meaning to finish.

While pretty basic, these are the four key ways I maintain my mental stability (to the best of my ability) during the roughest of times. Although everyone is different and people find their inner peace in different ways, the main ideas of these are all applicable. In certain situations some will work better over others, and as much as we wish we could evade our stress, it always creeps back up, which is why having a list like this is so important! Knowing yourself, your limitations and how to push through is how you will navigate through these trying times of stress. 

Shannon is a Sophomore at Temple University in the Fox School of Business. She is writer for Temple's chapter of Her Campus, a lover of all things Pinterest related, and an avid online shopper. When she's not in class you can find her either curled up rewatching Vampire Diaries for the 100th time or on her laptop scrolling through Pinterest pages!
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.