Raising the Bar: Get Your Body in Shape with the Bar Method

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
Do you get bored easily with your workouts? Are you always looking for fun and unique ways to maintain your physique? Do you enjoy yoga and pilates? The Bar Method may be for you!

Created by Lotte Berk, a German dancer who fled to London to escape the Nazis in the 1930s, the Bar Method is an exercise program that combines stretches, body-weight exercises and aerobics to burn fat and tone muscles. It can also be utilized for interval training, which combines bursts of high-intensity exercise with rest periods to boost the metabolism and burn more calories and fat. 
Similar to yoga and pilates, it puts alot of emphasis on elogating muscle groups with a few differences. Yoga utilizes stretching and holding poses, but the Bar Method is more focused on fitness than mind-body oneness. Pilates is also focused on fitness and body-shaping, but it uses machines and focuses on small muscle groups. The Bar Method focuses on major muscle groups and uses the body’s own weight for resistance.

The IBC doesn’t offer this class but there are other facilities in the Philadelphia area that do! Try Lithe Method, Pure Barre and Urban Front Pilates in Center City. Bar Method classes are typically an hour long and they include people of all fitness levels. There are currently more than 20 Bar Method studios and 2 workout DVDs.
Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.