This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Right now is a very strange and untroubling time for everyone in the world. The news is depressing, you don’t have to change out of your pajamas, you can attend class from your bed, you start eating out of boredom and your days begin to blend together as your productivity drops. If you’re like me, you need a structure in order to stay focused and motivated on your goals. Spending so much time in quarantine can definitely make us feel like we’re in a rut, but only if you allow it to! You’ve probably heard it a million times, but these times are really what you make of it. A little structure can get you back on track to accomplish all of your goals and finish this semester off strong. I decided to share the quarantine routine that I’ve been following to keep me feeling busy. Although yours may be a little different, I think a lot of these tips are important for your physical and mental well-being during a stressful time. 

Wake Up Early (ish)

Just because you’re doing school from home doesn’t mean you should sleep in until 2 p.m. every day! I try to set my alarm for 9:15 a.m. every morning, even if my classes are all later in the day, just to get up and start my day. I make a healthy breakfast, drink some coffee and see what my to-do list is looking like for the day. With this extra time in the morning, I feel more in control and like I have power over my day, not to mention having more time to accomplish some work. 

Change Out Of Your Pajamas! 

Staying in your pajamas all day may make you feel lazy and less motivated to do exercise or homework. You don’t have to put on jeans, but throw on some leggings and a t t-shirt. Getting dressed in the morning is how we would start our day on campus for class (most days), so you should replicate this routine at home. 

Use Your Planner and Make A To-Do List

Many of us feel like we are behind in schoolwork right now, and it’s only getting busier as we approach the end of the semester. Try to plan out your week or your day, crossing off tasks as you go. It will also keep you more focused on deadlines and what you need to accomplish each day to stay on track. It will make you feel really good to be able to cross off things one by one!

Exercise!

As generic as it sounds, quarantine is the perfect time to focus on a new goal. Not only will exercise keep you working towards a fitness goal, but it will also make you feel a whole lot better about yourself and more motivated throughout your day. Release those endorphins and feel good about yourself! Whether it’s a run around your neighborhood or an at-home-workout, there are so many ways to get your heart pumping and get you feeling good. You’re only one workout away from a better mood!

Set Aside Some Time To Get Work Done

Sketch out a few hours in your schedule to get schoolwork done. Try to find a quiet space in your house where you can focus and not be distracted by family members. Bring a water bottle, some healthy snacks, or anything else you feel like you would bring to an afternoon in the library! Feel free to play some light music to keep you focused if it helps you, I enjoy making calming playlists to keep me relaxed as I complete difficult school work!

Try A New Recipe!

Take a break from your laptop and make yourself, your family or your roommates dinner! Pinterest has plenty of recipes available for you to give a try and improve your cooking skills during this quarantine. 

Make Time To Catch Up With Your Friends

It is totally normal to feel lonely during this time of isolation. Make time to FaceTime your friends and play a few games, tell stories, and anything else that will make it feel as normal as possible! It will make you feel a whole lot better and more connected to people.

Keep Your Night Routine

Shower, do your skincare routine, watch a TV show, read a book, drink some tea, journal. My nightly routine really helps me feel relaxed during this stressful time. Also, Tik Tok has been a really good outlet for us college students that are missing campus. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t hysterically laughing alone in my room to some of the funny Tik Toks I’ve seen…

Pick Up A New Hobby!

If you find yourself bored, this is the perfect time to find a new hobby. Whether it’s the journal you always forget to write in or the instrument you quit learning how to play, pick it up and try again! It will feel amazing to come out of this quarantine having learned something new.

Practice Meditation

The world is overwhelming right now. It’s normal to feel stressed and anxious about the chaos of our days. Meditation will help you feel more in tune with your thoughts and breathing and will really help you to keep calm. Headspace is a great app if you are looking for ways to get started! 

I hope you are keeping yourself in good and healthy habits amidst these unsettling and uncertain times, and that some of these routine tips can be integrated into your lives. Taking care of yourself is always important, but it especially is right now. Please, stay safe and healthy. Check in on your loved ones. Practice simple acts of kindness. Try your best to see the good in every day. 

Mallory Lawn

Temple '23

Second-year Advertising student at Temple University. Lover of all things music, travel, wellness, writing, and Philly.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.