harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Cope When It’s More Than Just The Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s just a few weeks into the semester and I don’t know about you guys, but I am already counting down the days until summer break. Balancing class work, extracurriculars and fun can definitely get stressful, but where do we draw the line?

While it may seem like everyone else has got it together, college can be an incredibly stressful time. Even the most popular and seemly successful students may be battling some dark demons inside, as shown just last month when 19-year-old Madison Holleran, a freshman track start at the University of Pennsylvania, jumped to her death due to stress after her first semester.

Dealing with the stresses of college is more than common for students, but knowing that you are not alone is key. The Center for Disease Control reports that suicide is the third leading cause of death for those between the ages of 10 and 24.

While the CDC suggests developing a network of friends through extracurricular activities and staying active through regular physical activity, Temple also offers a variety of options right around campus for student’s dealing with tough times.

1.     Tuttleman Counseling Center

Located at 1810 Liacouras Walk (the same building as Student Health Services), The Tuttleman Counseling Center is a free counseling option for students dealing with a variety of different stressors in life and simply need someone to turn to. The center offers short-term individual counseling, group sessions and self-help resources all free of charge to Temple students. For more information about their services visit temple.edu/studentaffairs/counseling or call 215-204-7276.

2.     Hornstein, Platt and Associates

For more long-term counseling options, Hornstein, Platt and Associates is a great options right off campus. Their offices are located within Temple’s International Beech Village at 1526 Cecil B. Moore Avenue with other sites located in Rittenhouse Square and South Philly. HP Therapy offers many different long-term therapy options as well as other group sessions such as Career Coaching, Professional Organizing and Food Plan Development. While HP Therapy is not free to students, they are covered by many insurance plans and offer reduced fees on a limited basis. To find out more about their services visit hptherapy.com or call 215-732-6308

3.     HEART Student Health 101

While Tuttleman Counseling Center and Hornstein, Platt and Associates are great resources, they may not be the best option for everyone. HEART and Student Health 101 are both branches of Temple’s Wellness Center and have many options of how you can get involved, including on-campus mental health groups such as Active Minds and Healthy Minds To find out more information about these resources or  other options available to help if you or a friend who is struggling with depression or other mental illnesses visit Temple’s Wellness Resource Center at 1913 N. Broad Street or online at temple.edu/studentaffairs/heart/

4.      You Matter

For immediate help for you or a love one who may be having suicidal thoughts call the national suicide prevention hotline at 1-800-273-TALK or visit youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine. 
Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.