stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Beat Those Pesky Dark Circles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
Ah dark circles, one of the many unwelcome aspects of a morning after getting little to no sleep. 

With finals quickly approaching, you may be having more “dark circle days” than less due to late 

nights studying, and crying about how you’re probably going to fail your final that you studied 

weeks for. 

“A cool trick I learned is to put red lipstick under your eyes and then use concealer to get rid of 

them,” said sophomore Deanna Crawford. 

1. Hide Them

The simplest way to hide dark circles is to conceal them. Apply a concealer that is similar to 

your skin tone. Sometimes adding concealer just isn’t enough and you need something to 

brighten up your eyes. Using a highlighter under your eyes is a perfect way to make yourself 

look more awake. A great product to use is E.l.f’s Under Eye Conceal and Highlight. It’s a two in 

one tube that has liquid concealer on one side and highlighter on the other.

2. Freeze Them Out

Patrick Bateman from the 2000 film American Psycho isn’t necessarily a beauty guru. However, 

he does give some good advice on how to get rid of puffiness. He uses an eye mask which is 

made from a freezable liquid. Not everyone has one of these eye masks, but some cold tea 

bags or a spoon could work. One of the theories behind the “dark circles” is that our blood 

vessels under our eyes dilate, giving us the “bruised” looking appearance under our eyes. 

Applying a cold compress will help the blood vessels to constrict and hopefully remove the 

darkness.

3. Fight them with Medicine

Dark circles can sometimes be caused by allergies. According to Allure.com, allergic reactions 

from histamines can cause swelling or leaky, broken capillaries under your eyes causing the 

blood to pool and leave you with dark circles. If this is you, it might be easier to fight them with 

an antihistamine such as Benadryl or Claritin. However, be mindful of which antihistamine you 

are taking because some may cause drowsiness and that’s the last thing you need when you’re 

trying to study or take a final. 

4. Change Your Diet

Another reason those pesky dark circles are appearing could be because of your diet. Eating a 

healthy diet will not only have you feeling good on the inside, it will have you looking great on 

the outside as well. According to realsimple.com, foods that may improve blood flow to the skin 

are flavone-rich dark chocolate and foods with lots of omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon and 

walnuts. Improving blood flow will prevent the blood from pooling underneath your eyes.

5. Exercise

Sometimes dark circles appear due to your stressful lifestyle. When you’re in college it can feel 

like there just aren’t enough hours in the day to do everything. It might be difficult to set some 

time apart just for yourself, but taking care of yourself is so important. Although you’re young 

and you may feel invincible now, your body will truly thank you later if you take the time to take 

care of it properly. Exercise is a great way to relieve stress and get blood circulating which will 

help get rid of those dark circles and leave you feeling better on the inside and the outside.
Madeline is a sophomore Advertising major at Temple University. She is a total fashion junkie. You can usually find her in a thrift store or at the clearance rack looking for the best prices. She also has a strong love of social media, cats and 90's music. When she's not writing about fashion or beauty, she's writing short stories and poetry or taking photos. She is most happy when she is able to be her quirky, creative self. Madeline can be reached at madeline.archambault@temple.edu. You can also follow her on instagram @madelinearchambault.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.