woman with highlight on her cheek
woman with highlight on her cheek
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

5 Tips and Tricks For Feeling Confident in Your Own Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As I’m sure many of us have felt uncomfortable in our own skin at least once in our life, it is important to learn how to feel confident with yourself and your body. There is a heavy influence from social media to look a certain way and this can seriously derail our self confidence. While feeling confident in your own skin is not a linear process and takes time and consistent effort, knowing how to get there is the first step to self-love. 

One of the philanthropies that my sorority supports is ANAD: The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. Each year we host “ANAD Week,” where we have events on campus each day to raise awareness for body image issues and to let everyone know that they are beautiful. One of my favorite days is “trash your insecurities;” we stand on campus with a decorated trash can and we give post-it notes out to people passing by. Then, they can write an insecurity of theirs on the note and toss it in the trash can. It’s a great way to promote awareness for ANAD and to promote acceptance. 

Here are some tips and tricks to help you feel better and more confident in your own skin!:

Get off of social media

I know what you’re probably thinking — how could I ever do that?! It seems that our whole lives are based around various social media platforms and while they can be fun, they can also be destructive. Our feeds are flooded with Instagram models and influencers who all look the same — and it’s promoting unrealistic body standards. Try to spend less time on Instagram or Twitter, and you might be surprised at how the way you view yourself can change! 

Look at yourself in the mirror 

This might sound silly, but taking the time to stand in front of the mirror for a couple minutes will help change the relationship that you have with your body. Look at your face — your eyes, lips and nose — and then move your eyes down to your torso, your arms, your hips and your legs. Accept how you look, and tell yourself that you look good! Don’t compare yourself to other people, just focus on you. Changing the relationship that you have with yourself will give you the boost to absolutely loving your body.

Buy clothes in the right sizes 

Buying the right size clothes for your body is everything! Making sure that the clothes you wear fit you right and accentuate your favorite features can make all the difference in how you see yourself. When your jeans flatter your booty, you’ll feel a lot more confident in yourself. And remember, there’s no limit to what you can wear — buy what makes you feel good and what feels like “you.”

Take care of yourself

Self-care means something different for everyone, so find out what it means for you. Whether it’s eating better to feel better, going to the gym more often or doing a face mask once a week, find what works for you and do it. Learning to appreciate your body and to take care of it can majorly influence your physical and mental health. A fun tip: do some of these things with friends! Making a little pact to eat better, workout or have a face mask night once a week with one of your friends can help you stay on track to make sure you’re actually doing these things. 

Talk to someone 

If you feel that nothing is really working in terms of feeling better about your body, then it is a great idea to seek help! This can be talking to your friends, family,a counselor or a therapist. Whichever method works for you, do it. This may take some trial and error — it’s not always easy finding the right person to talk about these things with. However, I can assure you that once you do find that person, your whole perspective on yourself can change.

Remember ladies, everyone is different and everyone is beautiful. Don’t spend the time comparing yourself to the people around you, rather, spend the time loving and appreciating yourself. I know first-hand that this journey is not an easy one, but I hope that these tips can help you! 

Hi!! I am a 20-year old Communications Studies Major here at Temple. Most of the time I am probably watching The Office or Criminal Minds and hanging out with my friends. I love to write and I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus!
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.