How to Stay Fitness Motivated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the gym used to be your worst nightmare. My brother used to tell me I looked like a duck in a mini skirt when I worked out…seriously. So, my roommates and I decided that it was time for a change and for a more fit lifestyle. It didn’t happen overnight; we definitely have our fair share of cheat meals and couch potato days. Keep reading and learn how we got over the daily struggle and how you can too!

(Photo Courtesy of Shape.com)

Gym buddies

Nobody likes working out alone. Let’s face it, you’ll always have something to do, or you could suddenly feel “under the weather.” Having roommates or friends who text you and keep you accountable are a game changer. Plus, having company in the gym can give you more confidence to venture out of your normal routine and try a new workout together.

Have a Good playlist

Music is everything when trying to pump yourself up. Whether you’re into rap, EDM or pop, you do you. I try and update my workout playlist every other day so I look forward to jammin’ out while getting a good sweat in!

Build up your confidence with the basics

If you’re not a frequent gym-goer, do NOT walk straight into the weight room and go crazy. Working up your endurance and stamina is essential for staying safe in the gym and seeing the results you’re working for eventually. I started with training to run a full mile with no stopping, basic ab sets, and some push-ups now and then. I have been consistently working out for a year now, so I am confident in the weight room, but it took me a while to get there! Do not rush it. Your body will thank you.

Cute gym clothes

This is an obvious one. Who feels excited to workout in ratty old sorority shirts? If Lulu lemon isn’t in the budget, go to target! They have so many cute sports bras, tops, and leggings! Not only do you feel more confident in the gym, but you’ll look like you know what you’re doing.

Follow fitness bloggers

This is my biggest motivator. To start, these are my favorite fitness bloggers and their Instagram handles: Kayla Itsines (kayla_itsines), Tammy Hembrow (@tammyhembrow), Cara Van Brocklin (@caraloren), Kelsey Wells (mysweatlife) or Sara Lynn Wardell (lovebylynn) There have been many times when I am laying in bed thinking about skipping the gym that day, and one of these women pops up on my feed…and to the gym I go. Seriously, just follow a bunch of these fitness bloggers and see the difference it makes. I have learned so much about how to treat my body from these women and I, know y’all can too!

Treat the gym like a scheduled class

This is something my roommates and I do, and I promise it makes a huge difference. If you have a set time everyday where you block your schedule to go to the gym, results will happen faster. It doesn’t matter if that can’t happen until 10:00 pm. JUST GO!!! I know everyone’s schedules are insane, but there is always time to get a workout in. (even if its just an ab circuit in your house)

Know your body’s limits

In the end, you know when you can push yourself more or when you need to take it back a little. Listen to your muscles. Just because your friend can lift more than you or run faster, doesn’t mean you have to do that too. Everyone’s bodies are different and transform at different rates. Be proud of yourself and how strong you are getting everyday!

My name is Kristina Genau and I am a sophomore at TCU. I decided to become part of the HerCampus staff because writing has always been a huge passion of mine and I wanted to continue building on my skill. Having the opportunity to write for Her Campus allows me to display my passion in more creative ways outside of boring research papers. I have a huge imagination which I think only strengthens my love for writing.
Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.