Scream Queens: A Perfect Combination of Horror, Fashion, and Mystery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

A haunted sorority, Chanel and a masked serial murder all play a pivotal role in FOX’s Scream Queens.  I had a ton of expectations before the show aired mainly because of the riveting trailers, which featured great actors and music figures from Emma Roberts to Nick Jonas.  The show centers on Kappa Kappa Tau, a sorority at Wallace University which is run by Chanel Oberlin (Emma Roberts) and her minions. This sorority is rife with scandal such as deadly hazing. Therefore, Dean Cathy Munsch (Jamie Lee Curtis) opens the sorority for open enrollment. It is from this point on where several murders occur throughout the sorority house and it is the job of the new pledges, along with Chanel and her minions, to protect themselves from the Red Devil – the killer.

I have never been a fan of horror and I thought Scream Queens would not deliver too much gore; however, it was pretty bloody. The murders that were committed in the pilot episode alone were very gory. Even though horror always keeps me on my toes, Scream Queens did a great job on balancing horror with the storyline.

Another part of Scream Queens which has caught my attention from the beginning is the fashion. Not only are Chanel and her minions dressed to perfection in every scene, it is almost as if the fashion has its own identity on the show. Each of the pledges has her very own quirky style; whether it’s Keke Palmer’s sporty street style or Lea Michele’s geek-chic ensembles, every character on the show has a personality that is expressed through their outfits.

Overall, Scream Queens has definitely not disappointed. It is filled with witty dialogue and a mystery that is so haunting that I cannot wait for the show to develop throughout the season. Scream Queens is definitely a must-see show that pushes me out of my comfort zone, I would highly reccommend using your next study break to watch it!

A Sophomore Biology major at The College of New Jersey, who has an affinity for fashion, beauty, pop culture, and anything with humor!
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.