This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

When it’s below freezing out and you live a far walk from the campus gym, it’s hard to find the motivation to exercise. While you may think that you need expensive equipment to get in shape, you can actually get a great workout right in your dorm. These 5 easy and quick exercises will help you get in shape right in the comfort of your own dorm room!

1. Cardio – Running Up and Down Stairs:

Have you ever seen athletes run up and down stadium stairs? That’s because this is a great cardio workout that can improve cardiovascular activity and tone your legs and gluts. If your dorm has multiple staircases, make a race out of it with friends!

Workout:

Choose a staircase, preferably with 3 or more flights, and run up and down for 10 consecutive minutes. Do three sets and take a three-minute rest in between each set.

2. Quadriceps – Step-Ups

Step-ups, similar to running up and down the stairs, target your legs. However, they specifically target your quadriceps, which are a main muscle group that provides support to your knee. If you’re looking to build up some leg muscle grab the desk chair in your room and get working!

Workout:

Step onto the elevated platform (or chair), using only one leg to balance. Then slowly lower yourself back onto the group and switch to the other leg. Continue alternating legs for 3 sets of 30 total step-ups.

3. Triceps – Dips

Chair dips utilize your triceps because doing them forces you to hold your entire body weight with your triceps. It’s important to work out all of your key muscle groups and what better way to work your triceps than to do chair dips right in your dorm room!

Workout:

Sit in a chair and hold the edge of the chair with both hands and knuckles pointing forward. Slide your bottom off the chair and hold your body up with your arms, while staying close to the chair and with your legs extended. Slowly lower your body to the ground and slowly rise back up. This counts as one rep; do three sets of 15 reps.

4. Core – Textbook Crunches

The core muscles are usually neglected in workouts however, they are important in maintaining a good fitness program. Your core muscles improve your stability and balance so grab your heaviest textbook and get moving!

Workout:

Lay on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor. Hold your heavy textbook with both hands, directly over your head. Then, slowly lift your head and shoulder off of the ground, lifting the book in the air. Hold the end position for 1 second and slowly lay back down. Complete three sets of 20 textbook crunches.

5. Back – Reverse Snow Angels

Throughout the day various activities such as, standing for long periods of time or sitting hunched over, can be stressful on your back. In order to build strength in your back and also maintain a good posture it is important to incorporate back workouts into your fitness routine. Reverse snow angels are a great place to start!

Workout:

Lay face down on the ground with your arms at your sides and your palms facing down. Lift your hands and shoulders a few inches off the ground and in a slow motion; bring your arms up above your head until your thumbs meet. Then bring your arms back to the starting position; this counts as one rep. Complete 3 sets of 10 reps and take 1 minute breaks in between each set.