kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Things I Learned After Kickboxing For 3 Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

When I was in high school, I signed up for a kickboxing membership for three months on two separate occasions. Both times, I found the classes extremely challenging and allowed that to deter me from going regularly. I expected to see results immediately and was upset when I didn’t. I felt extremely discouraged and dreaded going to the classes because I felt so weak. I was winded during the warm-up and had to take breaks often.  Although I did sports in high school, I was inactive and out of shape during the off seasons. I didn’t know how important it was to eat the right foods before and after workouts. I didn’t see how exercising regularly is a lifestyle change and that it takes time; I only wanted a quick fix.

My experience then was completely different than it was this time around. In this past year, I’ve adopted exercise as a lifestyle, not only for my physical health but also for my mental health. My mindset was completely different upon starting kickboxing this summer and I think that is a crucial reason why the experience was so much more successful.

Here are some things I realized after kickboxing regularly for 3 months:

1. I wanted to go – it stopped feeling like something I had to do and became something I looked forward to.
  2. Eating the right foods before working out is very important. I noticed a difference in my workouts depending on what I ate that day.
  3. Challenging myself during workouts made me feel more accomplished. I learned how to love the feeling of sore muscles because it meant I worked hard!
  4. I became more confident and assertive.
  5. Changes can be small. My family members and peers began to compliment things about my appearance that I hadn’t even noticed.
  6. I started to love myself more.
  7. I not only became stronger physically, but mentally. 
  8. Kickboxing became a place where I could release all my emotions and be free.
  9. There’s no better feeling than when the instructor says “attack the bag” and giving it everything you’ve got.
  10. You are part of a community when you do group classes. I never felt awkward or like the people I was next to were better than me. I felt inspired and strived to work harder to be strong like them.

I really enjoyed my time at CKO Kickboxing and I’m already missing it. It was the best way to get a full body workout and release some pent-up energy from the day. Trying something that I failed at in the past taught me not to give up so easily and to instead push myself harder, not only in the gym, but in other aspects of my life as well. Good luck to any collegiette who tries kickboxing! It’s not easy, but it is 100% worth it. 

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.