Wellness > Health

Why “Hot Girl Walks” Should Be An Essential Part of Your Routine This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As the semester begins, it may feel overwhelming to prioritize fitness over school and everything else that is going on. If you don’t have the time or simply don’t feel like going to the gym and doing a full workout, taking a 30-minute walk (aka “Hot Girl Walks”) can help you feel accomplished and refreshed.

Walking is a great way to get the body moving without exerting too much energy. An easy way to get into walking is to start somewhere with a scenic route. This could be a park, your neighborhood, or even somewhere you have never been before and want to explore. Choosing a scenic route can distract your mind and help make the walk feel quicker and easier. Here in College Station, there are many great parks to try out such as Wolf Pen Creek and Lick Creek. If the outdoors is not your thing, try going to the Student Rec Center! The Rec Center has an indoor track that is super easy to use and is already included in your Texas A&M tuition! If you feel overwhelmed by the idea of taking a walk alone, try bringing a friend! Having someone else there to chat with and motivate you can definitely make this a much more enjoyable activity.

The trick to making your “hot girl walks” more effective and fun is to set goals. Walking a mile is an easy goal to begin with. Trying to go farther and farther each time will not only make walking more enjoyable but will also help with your overall health. A thirty-minute walk can burn anywhere from 100 to 200 calories depending on your weight. Walking for an hour five times a week burns about 1000 or more calories. Walking not only helps to burn body fat but also strengthens your muscles and bones, prevents and manages diseases, and can definitely help with mental health.

If you are trying to be healthier this semester and are looking for a simple and easily accessible activity, this is a great way to get started.

Charlie is a Psychology major at Texas A&M University. In her free time, she loves to travel, watch tik tok, and read. Charlie's favorite things are iced coffee, boba, and her cat.