This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Let’s Face it… It’s hot.

Simply existing in the triple digit temperatures of College Station is challenging, let alone trying to attend classes that are on different sides of campus. During my first fall semester at A&M, I dreaded my days on campus when I should have been enjoying them. I constantly found myself thinking, “Am I in the pits of hell?” But I wasn’t in hell… I was just in Texas. In Texas, there’s no way to escape the heat, but there are ways to avoid it. Here are my top three tips.

#1 – Download the Texas A&M app

If you ride the bus, this app is a must. Not only can you see which routes go where, but also what time the bus will arrive. I used to stand outside for half an hour waiting for the bus and wondering what was taking so long. By the time I was able to start heading to campus, I was drenched in sweat. This app has been a lifesaver. All you have to do is click “bus routes,” choose your bus number, then click “bus times” at the bottom right-hand of the screen. 

#2 – Go to the nearest library (or the MSC!) in between classes

If you have a long break in between classes, I would suggest going to the nearest library or the Memorial Student Center. The AC is always on full blast, and you can grab food and drinks inside! The Chick-fil-A spicy chicken sandwich and an iced caramel latte from Starbucks are my go-to choices.  

@starbucks

All fall everything. 🍎🎃

♬ original sound – Starbucks

#3 – Carry an umbrella

Why should we only use umbrellas in the rain when they’re great ways to get some shade? I’ve seen so many people walking around with them on campus, and I always think it’s the smartest idea. It might be a lot to carry, but it’ll be worth it when you show up to class looking slightly less like Anger from Inside Out.

Even though it’s hot 🥵, we can still be hot 💅

Don’t let this heat get in the way of an awesome semester! Learn more about staying cool and safe in the heat here. Let’s BTHO fall semester, Aggies!

Sydney Heller is a student writer for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. She enjoys writing articles on entertainment, culture, news, and more. Sydney is a senior English major at Texas A&M University. In addition to writing for Her Campus at TAMU, she is the Communications Intern for the Department of English’s undergraduate office, where she manages social media accounts, promotes department events, produces the monthly additions of The English Aggie newsletter, and more. She is also a member of a Texas A&M organization known as SWAMP, which stands for screenwriting, acting, and movie production. In this organization, she is learning about cinematography, lighting, screenwriting, and, in general, how to make a movie. In her free time, Sydney enjoys painting, listening to music, and writing poetry. She also has a tortoiseshell cat named Drizzy who she loves to play with. Sydney is a Dance Moms fanatic and can quote almost every episode easily. She is very excited for Abby Lee Miller’s new reality TV show, MAD House, to premiere. Some of her favorite music artists include Taylor Swift, Arctic Monkeys, Noah Kahan, and Olivia Rodrigo. In the future, Sydney hopes to become an investigative journalist or a screenwriter. She is looking forward to her second semester with Her Campus at TAMU. Gig 'em!