danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Job Search Tools You May Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Here are some useful tools to use as you begin the search for a job after graduation or a summer internship that we have used to secure our positions:

Helpful Websites

LinkedIn

This is the network platform for professionals where you recreate your resume for an online presence and profile that employers will view during the hiring process. You are able to connect with other professionals in your industry, such as employers or coworkers. LinkedIn also has job listings and online learning services.

Glassdoor

A review service for jobs, businesses, and companies in which you can research the salaries for positions, the work culture, and other experiences employees have had while on the job.

Indeed or Monster

These websites are for job listings and available positions you can apply for by uploading a resume and searching for job postings among other resources, such as company reviews and resume help.

Software

Skype

When applying to jobs outside the Bryan-College Station area and you’re unable to travel, Skype is an alternative interview. My interview for my summer internship was conducted on Skype when my car got damaged a couple days before my interview.

Microsoft Office

On a daily basis, I use Word, Excel, and Outlook for work. Microsoft office is something everyone uses and can learn to use. A&M students can download Microsoft Office for free here.

Google

As the most well-known search engine, this is another useful search tool for job openings. Google add-ons are helpful for job hunting, as well. For example, Google Hangouts is another video software such as Skype, that can be used for conducting interviews and conference calls. Google also has gmail, word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software that may be used as alternatives to Microsoft Office.

People

Career Advisors

First check if your college, department, or program has specialized career advisors catered for your field, industry, and line of work. If not, there is a university wide career center.

Your Network

You can also reach out to your network, post on social media, ask around, and schedule career advice meetings with your professors. Utilize the Aggie Network, such as the Association of Former Students has a Find An Aggie feature that is a viable online resource. There is also JobsForAggies and HireAggies, which are specialized in helping Aggies find jobs in and out of college. You can also strike up a conversation with Aggies at networking events, such as tailgating, (yes, things like tailgating count as networking events and the Association holds one every gameday), conferences, and career fairs.

I hope these tips can be helpful in your job search. Just remember to put yourself out there!

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.