Life > Academics

I Took 7 Classes at Texas A&M This Fall. Here’s My Experience.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Yes, you read the headline correctly. On top of having a part-time job and acting as president of Her Campus at TAMU during fall 2022, I was enrolled in seven classes this semester at Texas A&M University.

This semester was my first in the Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s Program (basically a high-speed track to get my Master’s early). I had to adjust my schedule according to my graduate program timeline, and that’s how I ended up having one of the busiest semesters of my life.

I was registered in four undergraduate courses (two of which were writing intensive), two graduate courses, and a capstone course. I knew keeping up with everything was going to be a lot, but it was WAY more challenging than I expected. Here are some themes from my experience.

Sleep was for the weak

Getting plenty of sleep is super important, and I definitely lacked in the zzz’s department this semester. Before I started my grad-undergrad-writing-intensive-capstone semester, I was typically asleep by eleven on weekdays. This fall, I was lucky to be in bed by one or two in the morning. On top of that, I had to get up around 7 a.m. every day… Let’s just say I have some pretty dark eye bags to show for it (and I’ll be sleeping an excessive amount over break). 

Energy drinks were crucial

Never have I ever consumed so much Red Bull in a semester. Everyone knew me for having a blue, red, and silver can with me at all times. I probably drank about four on average each week (on top of my typical iced coffee consumption). By mid-October, I had to switch to sugar-free Red Bull to compensate for the persistent headaches I got from the amount of sugar I was consuming each week with the regular ones. Caffeine is probably one of the only reasons I got through everything (seriously).

Asking for help Was necessary

Until this semester, I had never asked for an extension on an assignment or for an excused absence from class. And while I was on track to not do so again, late November had a different idea. My stress levels were at an all-time high, and I needed more time than I was given. So, I asked for extensions, missed a class or two, and then asked for even more extensions because I got a concussion (a tale for another day). The moral of the story is that my professors were not phased when I asked for accommodations and ended up being extremely understanding.

Looking back at it, would I take seven classes at once again? No way.

It may not have been easy, but I did learn a lot from this experience (besides how to conceal eye bags and how much caffeine I can tolerate in a day). I learned that asking for help is okay, something I have always struggled to understand in the past, and I learned that I have to take better care of myself. Sure, my four hours of sleep and Red Bull combination worked for a few months, but reality slapped me in the face once deadlines started stacking up toward the end. I definitely dragged myself across the finish line.

Even though it took a bit of a toll on me, this semester was probably one of my best ones yet. I got my Aggie ring (whoop!), accomplished goals at my job, surpassed my expectations (and others) as president, made some genuine friends, and completed my first graduate class(es) ever. It was a lot, but I did it. And I can promise that I won’t ever be caught taking more than five classes ever again.

Howdy! My name is Sydnie Harrell, and I served as President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at TAMU for the 2022-2023 school year. Feel free to get in touch with me on social media.